About Me

My photo
Chattogram, Dhaka, Bangladesh

Monday, July 20, 2020

Completing Sentences with Clause and Phrases


            Question Pattern for Examination
 
Complete the Sentences Using suitable clauses/Phrases:-

a)      Industry is the –––.

b)      A man cannot succeed in life –––.

c)      ––– of the world are industrious.

d)     The man ––– can maintain a sound health,

e)      We should not like those persons –––.

f)       I always –––.

g)      I know the story of an industrious person –––.

h)      That man always inspires me –––.

i)        I have a poor uncle. He could be rich –––.

j)        He has become poor ––– of his idleness. 


 

 

Section-1: General Discussion on Clause ebvg Phrase

 

 

 

Sentence-Gi MVb eyS‡Z n‡j 'Clause & Phrase'  GB `ywU wRwbm Rvbv Lye Riæwi| G‡`i g‡a¨ g~j cv_©K¨¸‡jv †`‡L wbB:

µ 1. Clause Kx?  

F  GKwU Clause n‡jv GK¸”Q kã (Group of words) †hLv‡b Aek¨B GKwU Subject Ges GKwU Verb _vK‡e|

F  Example: The boy is playing.

F  GLv‡b 'The boy' n‡jv Subject Ges 'is playing' n‡jv Verb| †h‡nZy GLv‡b `y‡UvB Av‡Q, ZvB GwU GKwU Clause|

µ 2. Phrase Kx?

F  Phrase n‡jv Ggb GK¸”Q kã hvi g‡a¨ †Kv‡bv Subject Ges Verb _v‡K bv|

F  Ab¨fv‡e ej‡j, Sentence-Gi †h As‡k Subject ev Verb †bB, †mB AskwUB n‡jv Phrase|

F  Example: On the wall, in the water, over the horizon.

F  Dc‡ii GB Ask¸‡jv‡Z †Kv‡bv wbw`©ó KvR (Verb) ev †K KvR Ki‡Q (Subject)-Zvi D‡jøL †bB| ZvB G¸‡jv Phrase|

µ Clause Ges Phrase hLb GKmv‡_ _v‡K- 

F  GKwU Sentence-Gi g‡a¨ Clause Ges Phrase DfqB _vK‡Z cv‡i| wb‡Pi D`vniYwU j¶¨ Ki:

F  Example: He is playing in the field. 

F  He is playing: GwU GKwU Clause (KviY GLv‡b He = Subject Ges is playing = Verb)|

F  In the field: GwU GKwU Phrase (KviY GLv‡b †Kv‡bv Subject ev Verb †bB)|

µ g‡b ivLvi mnR Dcvq (Simple Hack)  

F  Phrase wb‡R wb‡R c~Y©v½ †Kv‡bv A_© cªKvk Ki‡Z cv‡i bv| GwU A_© m¤úbœ Kivi Rb¨ Ab¨ k‡ãi mvnvh¨ †bq|

F  Ab¨w`‡K, Clause-Gi g‡a¨ AšÍZ GKwU Subject Ges GKwU Action (Verb) _v‡K|

µ GK bR‡i-

‰ewkó¨

Clause

Phrase

Subject?

_v‡K (Yes)

_v‡K bv (No)

Verb?

_v‡K (Yes)

_v‡K bv (No)

A_©?

c~Y© A_© w`‡Z cv‡i

Am¤ú~Y© A_© †`q

Example

He is playing

In the field

 

 

Section-2: Discussion on Most Important Rules 

 

 

SL

Rules and Techniques

Examples from HSC & Test Exam Questions

1

Adjective Clause ***

F GwU Zvi Av‡Mi Noun ev Pronoun m¤ú‡K© Z_¨ †`q|

F Who, which, that w`‡q ïiæ nq| 

 

a)     The man who follows the rules of health, can maintain a sound health.

b)    Our agriculture which is the main factor of our economy depends on water.

c)     The man who follows the rules of heath, can maintain a sound health.

d)    He who follows two hares will not reach his destination.

2

Noun Clause

F GwU ev‡K¨ Noun Gi g‡Zv KvR K‡i|

F Subject/Object wn‡m‡e e‡m|    

a) He confessed that he did the mistake.

b) What he said is false.

c) We know that the earth moves round the sun.

d) I know where he lives.

e) I know that he will shine in life.

3

Adverb Clause

F  GwU mgq (Time), RvqMv (place) KviY (Reason), ev aiY (Manner) †evSvq|

a) I have missed the 8 o’clock train. Do you know when the next train will arrive?

b) She was thirty years old when she visited the place.

c) Your parents will be happy when you have succeeded in life.

d) My  purse has been stolen where I took lunch.

 

 

4

Too……to*** 

F  "GZB...‡h (bv)"| GwU Negative A_© †`q|

F Technique: Too + Adj/Adv + to + V1

a) I was too young to understand the politics of the people.

b) The students could not memorize the poem .It was too difficult for them to memorize.

c) I found the box in the room. The box was too heavy for me to carry.

d) She never travels alone. She is too afraid to think of travelling alone.

5

So….that***

F  "GZB...‡h"| djvdj (Effect) †evSv‡Z|

F Technique: So + Adj + that + Sub + can/could (not) + V1

a) Water is so vital an element that we cannot live without it.

b) He is so short that he cannot reach the top of the almirah.

c) They were so lazy that they could not complete the work in time.

d) Our farmars are so poor that they cannot maintain their family properly. 

6

In order that/so that***

F  "hv‡Z K‡i"| D‡Ïk¨ eySvq|

F Technique: Gici Sub + can/may (Present n‡j) A_ev could/might (Past n‡j) e‡m|  

a) He studies medicine so that / in order that he may become a medicine specialist.

b) We should keep the environment free from pollution so that / in order that we may live a healthy life.

c) There are many obstacles in our way to success. We must work hard so that / in order that we can overcome those obstacles.

d) He took a part time job so that / in order that he could earn some money.

e) He practices geometry a lot so that / in order that he can do better in geometry.

7

If Clause ***

F If+ present simple, present simple.

 

F If +Present Ind., Future Indefinite.

 

F If+ Past Ind., Sub + would/could/might + V1.

 

 

F If +Past Perfect, Sub + would have/ could have/ might have + V3     

 

a) If you heat water by 100 centigrade, it boils.

b) If a substance is cohesive, it tends to stick together.

 

c) If we waste our time, all evil thoughts will crowd our brain.

d) If a man sows good seeds, he will get good harvest.

 

e) If you maintained honesty, you could shine in life.

f) He was not serious in his study. If he studied attentively, he could get GPA 5.

 

g) If I had seen him, I would have told him the matter.

h) Had I been a king, I would have helped the poor.

 

8

Unless ***

F GwU gv‡b n‡jv "If... not" (hw` bv)|

a)     Unless you study hard, you cannot pass in the exam.

b)     You will not succeed in life unless you work hard.

c)     You cannot prosper in life unless you make best use of time.

d)     Unlees you are punctual, you cannot prosper in life.

e)     Unity is power. Unless you are united, you will fall.

9

With a view to***

F D‡Ïk¨ eySvq|

F Gi c‡i me mgq Verb + ing nq|

 

a) He came to me with a view to drinking a glass of water.

b) All of us have to work hard with a view to achieving success.

c) We met our teacher with a view to submitting our assighnment.

d) Florence Nightingale wanted to become a nurse with a view to nursing the sick people.

e) He is taking preparation for IELTS with a view to going abroad for higher studies.

10

Would you mind***

F  Aby‡iva Rvbv‡Z/ AbygwZ PvB‡Z 

F ‘Would you mind’+ (Verb+ing).

a) I have lost my cell phone. Would you mind giving me your phone to talk to my mother?

b) It is raining heavily. Would you mind closing the window?

11

It is time / It is high time/It is about time *** 

F "GUvB Dchy³ mgq" (hv Av‡MB nIqv DwPZ wQj)| 

F .......+ to+ verb. 

F .......Sub +V2

a)     Corruption is an obstacle to our national development. It is high time we stood against corruption.

b)     Load shedding occurs because we cannot produce sufficient electricity. It is high time we stopped wasting electricity.

c)     Our final examination is knocking at the door. It’s time/ It is high time to study seriously.

d)     Smoking is detrimental to health. It’s time/ It is high time to stop smoking.

e)     It’s time/ It is high time you took preparation for the examination.

12

Since (mgq)***

F i) Present Simple/ Present Perfect Tense + since+ Past Simple

F ii) Past Simple+ since+ Past Perfect.

a) It is long time since we met together.

b) Time has its wings. It was five years since we had met last.

c) Many years have passed since we met together.

d) I cannot recall his name. It wass long since we had met last.

e) It was many years since we had met together.

13

As /Since /Because

F KviY †evSv‡Z|

F G¸‡jv Complex Sentence-G KviY `k©v‡Z e¨eüZ nq|

F Technique: `yB cv‡ki Clause-GB mvaviYZ GKB Tense e‡m|

a) Since there was no more question to discuss, we stopped the discussion.

b) 16th December is a red letter in our national history, because we achieved victory on this day.

c) Since the water of this bottle is not pure, you should not drink it.

d) Since it was raining heavily, we did not go outside.

14

Though /Although/

F "hw`I"|

F GwU Complex Sentence-G `ywU wecixZ fve‡K hy³ K‡i|

F Technique:

Though+Clause-1,+Clause2  

a) Though Bangladesh is a small country, we have some beautiful heritage sites.

b) Though Bangladesh is a small country, we have some beautiful heritage sites.

c) Though he is dull of hearing, he can understand everything.

d) Though he was late for the office, his boss did not rebuke him.

e) In spite of working hard, he cannot turn the wheels of his fortune.

15

Despite / in spite of

F "m‡Ë¡I"|

F GwU Simple Sentence-G e¨eüZ nq|

F Technique: Gic‡i Noun ev Pronoun A_ev Verb(ing) e‡m (KL‡bv c~Y©v½ Clause e‡m bv)| 

a) In spite of working hard, he cannot turn the wheels of his fortune.

b) Despite his honest work, he is dishonored.

16

As if/As though***

F KvíwbK ev Aev¯Íe †Kv‡bv Zyjbv †evSv‡Z e¨eüZ nq| 

F i) Present Simple + As if/ as though   +Past Simple  

F ii) Past Simple+ As if/ as though + Past Perfect

a) He is a quack but he behaves as if / as though he were a good doctor.

b) I am surprised to hear his speeches. He speaks as if / as though he knew the ins and outs of the incident.

c) He always acts as if/as though he were smarter than anyone.

d) He talked as if/as though he had known everything.

17

As soon as ***

F "gvÎB"|

F `yB w`‡KB mvaviYZ GKB Tense (Past Indefinite) nq|

F i) As soon as + Past Indefinite Tense+ Past Indefinite Tense

F ii) Past Indefinite Tense+ as soon as + Past Indefinite

F  iii) Future Ind. +as soon as + Present

a) The storm was raging violently. We got out as soon as it abated.

b) His mother being sick, he needs to go home as soon as possible.*

c) The play will start as soon as the rain stops.

d) As soon as the mother heard the news, she cried loudly.

18

No sooner had….than/

Scarcely had…..when/

Hardly had …when or before ***

F "GKwU KvR n‡Z bv n‡ZB Av‡iKwU nIqv" †evSv‡Z G¸‡jv e‡m|

F G¸‡jv‡K Negative Inversion ejv nq|

F Past Perfect Tense + than + Past Indefinite Tense.

F  Past Perfect Tense + when + Past Indefinite Tense.

F Past Perfect Tense + before + Past Indefinite Tense. 

a) No sooner had the students seen their teacher than they entered the class.

b) Hardly had we started to eat when he came to the party.

c) Hardly had the thief seen the police when he ran away.

d) Scarcely had the students seen their teacher when they stood up. 

19

Lest***  

F "cv‡Q fq nq †h"|

F Technique: Gici Subject + should/might + V1 e‡m|  

a) A student has to study regularly lest he should fail in the exam.

b) The thief ran away seeing the police lest he should be arrested.

c) The students walked faster lest they should miss the class.

d) She studies hard lest she should miss GPA 5.

e) Walk fast lest you should miss the train.

20

Used to/ Be used to/ Get used to

F Af¨vmMZ Kg© eySv‡Z 

F i) Subject + used to + verb in base form.

F ii) Subject + be /get (any tense) + used to + (verb+ing)

a) Sometimes we become speechless remembering our childhood memories. We used to swim in the river.

b) He got used to writing a dairy from her cchildhood.

21

I wish/ Would that***

F  Am¤¢e †Kv‡bv B”Qv cªKvk Ki‡Z|

F Technique: Gic‡i mvaviYZ Past Simple (V2) e‡m (Be verb n‡j were e‡m)|

a) I’m nostalgic about my childhood. I wish I were a child again.

b) I am very weak in English. Would that I could speak English fluently.

22

Till/ Until  

F   "ch©šÍ" ev "hZ¶Y bv ch©šÍ"|

F Technique: Until-Gi mv‡_ mvaviYZ negative word e‡m bv, KviY GwU wb‡RB negative|

a)They waited till we did not reach the station.

b) Please wait here until I come back.

23

While

F "hLb" ev "PjvKvjxb"|

F While + (verb+ing), past indefinite tense.

F While + past continuous  tense, past indefinite tense. {same subject}.

F While + past continuous tense, past continuous tense. {Different subject}.

 

a) While going to market, I saw my friend.

b) While I was walking in the garden, I saw a snake.

c) While I was reading, my brother was sleeping.

24

When

F ‡Kv‡bv wbw`©ó mg‡q GKwU KvR NUv †evSv‡j|

F When + past indefinite, past indefinite.

F When + present indefinite, present indefinite / future indefinite.

 

a) When the Prince heard the news, he decided to fight back.

b) I will give him the news when I see him.

25

Proverb

a)     United we stand, divided we fall.

b)     A man is known by the company he keeps.

c)     Where there is life, there is hope.

d)     Faults are thick where love is thin.

e)     Danger often comes where it is feared.

f)      What is lotted  cannot be blotted.

g)     A friend in need is a friend indeed.

h)     Misfortune never comes alone.

i)      Time and tide wait for none.

j)      Morning shows the day.

k)     Industry is the key to success.

l)      Honesty is the best policy.

m)   Life is not a bed of roses.

n)     Health is wealth.

o)     Handsome is that handsome does.

p)     As you sow,so you reap.

q)     A tree is known by its fruits.

r)      Better alone than in evil company.

s)     Practice makes a man perfect.

t)      Where there is life, there is hope.

 

Section-3: Board Questions Analysis

 

 

1.  Dhaka Board-2025

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Whenever I go to visit the factory, I find something new to learn.

Whenever hy³ clause-wU Present Tense-G _vKvq cieZ©x AskwUI Present Simple-G Kiv n‡q‡Q|

(b)

You are now sick. Call me in case you need any help.

In case GKwU conjunction hv †Kv‡bv wKQyi cª¯ÍywZ †evSv‡Z e¨eüZ nq| in case hy³ Ask me mgq Present Indefinite nq|  

(c)

She confessed that she had made a mistake. So he pardoned her.  

Confessed (Past Tense) _vKvq c‡ii AskwU Past Perfect-G n‡q‡Q|

(d)

It was very cold. They had to put on warm clothes so that they could keep themselves warm.

D‡Ïk¨ eySv‡Z So that Gi Av‡Mi AskwU Past Tense nIqvq c‡ii As‡k could + verb e¨eüZ n‡q‡Q| Gi A_©: hv‡Z Zviv wb‡R‡`i Dò ivL‡Z cv‡i|

(e)

The market is not far away from here. It will take them ten minutes to reach there.

It takes + time + to + verb GKwU mvaviY MVb| †h‡nZy gv‡K©U Kv‡QB, ZvB †mLv‡b †cŠuQv‡Z `k wgwbU jvM‡e|

(f)

The man tried heart and soul to get the job but could not. Had he got the job, he would have supported his family.

GwU GKwU Third Conditional evK¨| 'Had' w`‡q ïiæ nIqv kZ©g~jK ev‡K¨i djvdj As‡k would have/could have/might have + past participle e‡m|  

(g)

Though we were thirsty, we did not drink the water. The water of the bottle was not pure. 

Though (hw`I) wecixZag©x A_© cªKvk K‡i| Z„òvZ© nIqv m‡Ë¡I Zviv cvwb cvb K‡iwb KviY cvwb weï× wQj bv| 

(h)

They had to postpone their journey because of the heavy rain/bad weather.

Because of Gi ci GKwU noun ev noun phrase e‡m| hvÎvweiwZi KviY wn‡m‡e Lvivc AvenvIqv ev e„wói K_v D‡jøL Kiv n‡q‡Q|

(i)

Man is a social being. So, he cannot always do whatever he likes/pleases.

gvbyl mvgvwRK Rxe e‡j memgq wb‡Ri hv B”Qv (whatever he likes) Zv Ki‡Z cv‡i bv| mvgvwRK wbqg †g‡b Pj‡Z nq|

(j)

United we stand, divided we fall.

GwU GKwU AwZ cwiwPZ Bs‡iwR cªev` (Proverb)| Gi A_© n‡jv: GKZvq DÌvb, we‡f‡` cZb|

 

2. Rajshahi Board-2025

  

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

I think you are not punctual in studies. Be punctual lest you should fail in the exam.

Lest GKwU †bwZevPK A_© enb K‡i| wbqg n‡jv: Lest + subject +  should/might e‡m|   

(b)

The film ended fantastically. If you had enjoyed the film, you would have liked it.

GwU 3rd Conditional. wbqg: If + Past Perfect _vK‡j c‡ii As‡k Subject + would have/could have/might have + V3 e‡m|  

(c)

Through it is uncertain, we should try our best.

Though/Although _vK‡j `ywU clause wecixZ A_© cªKvk K‡i|

(d)

Fahim could not get A+ in English provided he did not study well.  

Provided (that) gv‡b Ôhw`Õ (if)| evK¨wUi A_© Abyhvqx, †m A+ cv‡e bv hw` bv †m fv‡jv K‡i cov‡kvbv K‡i|   

(e)

Scarcely had we reached the station when the train left.

Scarcely/Hardly w`‡q evK¨ ïiæ n‡j gvSLv‡b when e‡m Ges c‡ii AskwU Past Indefinite nq|

(f)

What is lotted cannot be blotted.

GwU GKwU weL¨vZ cªev` (Proverb)| Gi A_© n‡jv ÔKcv‡j hv †jLv Av‡Q Zv LÐv‡bv hvq bvÕ|

(g)

Food adulteration is a crime. It is high time we stopped food adulteration.

It is high time Gi ci subject _vK‡j verb-Gi Past form (V2) nq| Gi gv‡b n‡jv GLbB Dchy³ mgq †Kv‡bv KvR Kivi|

(h)

She behaves/talks as if she were a mad girl.   

As if/As though Gi Av‡M Present Indefinite _vK‡j c‡i were ev Past Indefinite nq| (Rule: Present Indefinite + as if + Past Indefinite/were).

(i)

Mahin is going to build a new house/his career. I must help him.   

GLv‡b context Abyhvqx GKwU object emv‡Z n‡e| gvwnb wKQy ˆZwi Ki‡Q ZvB Zv‡K mvnvh¨ Kiv `iKvi|

(j)

I saw that he was sleeping. So I didn`t disturb him.      

‡h‡nZy †k‡li ev‡K¨ ejv Av‡Q 'Zv‡K wei³ Kwiwb', ZvB Av‡Mi As‡k GKwU KviY †`Lv‡Z n‡e|

 

3. Chattogram Board-2025

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

I think you are irregular in studies. Be attentive lest you should fail in the exam.

Lest-Gi wbqg n‡jv: Gi c‡i Subject + should/might + V1 e‡m|

(b)

There are many obstacles in our way to success. We must work hard so that we can reach our goal.

D‡Ïk¨ eySv‡Z So that (hv‡Z) Gi ci Subject + can/could + V1 e‡m| (Present n‡j can)|  

(c)

Jamil had an accident yesterday while he was crossing the road.

While Gici KvR Pjgvb †evSv‡j Past Continuous (was/were + ing) nq|

(d)

There goes a proverb that a man is known by the company he keeps. So, we should make friendship with a gentleman.  

cªev`: m½ †`‡L †jvK †Pbv hvq| †h‡nZy c‡i 'Gentleman' Gi K_v Av‡Q, GB cªev`wUB Dchy³|

(e)

Corruption is a bottleneck to our national development. It is high time we stopped it.

It is high time Gi ci Subject _vK‡j Verb-Gi Past form (V2) e‡m|

(f)

He who studies regularly makes a glorious result in the examination.    

Who (Relative Pronoun) Zvi Av‡Mi 'He' †K †evSv‡”Q, ZvB Verb-Gi mv‡_ s/es hy³ n‡q‡Q|

(g)

Whenever he speaks in English, he makes mistakes. Infact, we learn through mistakes.  

‡m Bs‡iwR ejvi mgq fyj K‡i| (c‡ii jvB‡bi 'mistakes' k‡ãi mv‡_ wgj †i‡L)|

(h)

We are a free nation now, 1971 is the year when we achieved independence.

Year (mgq) †evSv‡Z Relative Pronoun wn‡m‡e when e‡m|

(i)

Man proposes, but God disposes.

cªev`: "Man proposes, but God disposes." (gvbyl fv‡e GK, nq Avi GK)|

(j)

Danger comes where danger is feared. So, we have to be careful in our life.      

cªev`: "Danger comes where danger is feared." (‡hLv‡b ev‡Ni fq, †mLv‡bB ivZ nq)|

 

4. Cumilla Board-2025

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Your H.S.C Examination is knocking at the door. You have to study attentively so that you can cut a good figure in the exam.

D‡Ïk¨ eySv‡Z So that Gi ci subject + can/may + verb-Gi base form e‡m|

(b)

Time flies very fast. Five years have passed since we met last.

Since Gi Av‡Mi Ask Present Perfect n‡j c‡ii Ask Past Indefinite nq|

(c)

I got a scholarship when I was in primary school. Everybody was happy.

When hy³ clause wU mgq wb‡`©k K‡i Ges NUbvi mv‡_ mvgÄm¨c~Y© nq|

(d)

I was very busy with my examination. If I had been free / had finished my work, I would have joined your birthday celebration. 

If + past perfect + would have + V3 (3rd Conditional)|

(e)

A village market is a place where villagers buy and sell daily necessaries. This place is full of hue and cry.

Where ¯’vb wb‡`©kK relative pronoun wn‡m‡e e‡m c~Y©v½ Z_¨ †`q|

(f)

Their salary is so poor. The government should assist him lest they should face financial crisis. 

Lest Gi ci subject + should/might + verb e‡m|

(g)

Early rising gives a man enough free time. Had I been an early riser I would have enjoyed the morning fresh air.

Had + subject + V3 w`‡q evK¨ ïiæ n‡j GwU 3rd Conditional wn‡m‡e KvR K‡i|

(h)

There is nobody who is completely happy. Hence happiness is a reative term.  

Nobody Gi ci relative pronoun 'who' hy³ n‡q †bwZevPK A_© cªKvk K‡i|

(i)

I worked hard although I was very tired.

Although wecixZag©x Z_¨ †hvM K‡i (cwikªg K‡iwQ hw`I K¬všÍ wQjvg)|

(j)

The crown is a symbol of a king. Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.

GwU GKwU weL¨vZ cªev`: "Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown."

 

5. Dinajpur Board-2025

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

It is swimming which is a good exercise. It makes us strong.  

It is + noun/gerund Gi ci relative pronoun 'which/that' e‡m|

(b)

Though early rising is difficult, it is very beneficial. Everybody should rise early.

Though hy³ ev‡K¨ wecixZgyLx wKš‘ †hŠw³K aviYv e‡m|

(c)

A barking dog seldom bites. Do you know it?  

GwU GKwU cªev` evK¨: "A barking dog seldom bites."

(d)

You are very tired. You had better take a rest.

Had better Gi ci mivmwi verb-Gi base form e‡m|

(e)

Ther novel written by Milton is very interesting. I read it when I was a college student.  

AZx‡Zi wbw`©ó mgq †evSv‡Z When Gi ci Past Indefinite e‡m|

(f)

Truthfulness is a great virtue because it makes a man great.

Because KviY `k©v‡Z e¨envi Kiv nq|

(g)

Corrupt persons are not only dishonest but also criminals. Now it is high time we stopped corruption.

It is high time Gi ci subject _vK‡j verb-Gi Past form (V2) e‡m|

(h)

A library is a place where books are kept for readers. So, every education institution should have a library.

Where ¯’vb (library) m¤ú‡K© Z_¨ cª`vb K‡i|

(i)

I worked hard though I was ill.

Though wecixZ Z_¨ cªKvk K‡i|

(j)

I closed the door of my room so that I could sleep peacefully.

D‡Ïk¨ eySv‡Z So that Gi Av‡M Past tense _vKvq c‡i subject + could + V1 e‡m‡Q|

 

6. Jashore Board-2025

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

He walks fast lest he should miss the train.

Lest Gi ci subject + should + V1 e‡m|

(b)

A pen which was bought yesterday is lost.

Which w`‡q pen m¤ú‡K© AwZwi³ Z_¨ †`Iqv n‡q‡Q|

(c)

I closed the door of my room so that I could study without noise.

D‡Ïk¨ eySv‡Z So that Gi Av‡M Past Indefinite _vK‡j c‡i subject + could/might e‡m|

(d)

The poem is too hard for me to understand.

Too + adj + for + object + to + V1 MVb e¨eüZ n‡q‡Q|

(e)

Unless you came I would not go.

Unless (hw` bv) †bwZevPK kZ© †evSvq|

(f)

If I were a rich man, I would help the poor.

If + past indefinite + would + V1 (2nd Conditional)|

(g)

I wanted to learn English instead of learning French.

Instead of Gi ci verb-Gi mv‡_ 'ing' hy³ nq|

(h)

Inspite of his being poor, he is very honest.

In spite of wecixZ ˆewkó¨ cªKvk K‡i (Mwie nIqv m‡Ë¡I mr)|

(i)

Because of her being small she cannot reach the shelf.

Because of KviY †evSvq| †QvU nIqvi Kvi‡Y †m †cŠuQv‡Z cv‡i bv|

(j)

Learn English properly till you master it.

Till (ch©šÍ) mgqmxgv wb‡`©k K‡i|

 

7. Barishal Board-2025

  

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Everyone appreciates Mitu for her intelligence. She is so intelligent tha she can solve any problem.

So + adjective + that + subject + can/cannot MVb|

(b)

His only daughter lives in Canada. It is many years since I saw her.

It is + time + since + Past Indefinite|

(c)

To tell a lie is a bad habit. The cowboy was used to telling lies.

Used to Gi Av‡M be verb (was) _vK‡j verb+ing nq|

(d)

Don`t waste time. Do hurry lest you should miss the bus.

Lest wbqg: Subject + should/might + V1|

(e)

I have bought a lottery ticket. If I win the lottery, I will build a house.

If + present ,future  (1st Conditional)|

(f)

There goes a proverb that Time and tide wait for none. So, we must make the proper use of time.   

mg‡qi ¸iæZ¡ †evSv‡Z GB cªev`wU Dchy³|

(g)

It is my dream to establish a hospital for ther poor. Had I been a millionaire, I would have helped the poor.

Had + Sub + V3 w`‡q evK¨ ïiæ n‡j Zv 3rd Conditional|

(h)

Eve-teasing is a heinous crime. It is high time we raised our voice against it.

It is high time Gici subject _vK‡j verb-Gi past form nq|

(i)

English is an international language. If you do not learn English, you will not get a good job.

If + negative present , future negative|

j)

My brother had no job then. He went to Dhaka with a view to getting a job and earning money.

D‡Ïk¨ eySv‡Z with a view to + (verb+ing)

 

8. Mymensingh Board-2025

  

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

I bought a fiction of the Harry Potter series. The book was so captivating that I could not stop reading it.

So + adjective + that _vK‡j c‡ii AskwU djvdj eySvq| eB GZB AvKl©Yxq wQj †h Avwg GUv bv c‡o _vK‡Z cvwiwb|

(b)

He was too old to walk alone. Yet, he did not listen to the warnings.

Too + adjective + to + verb structure e¨envi Kiv n‡q‡Q| †m GZB e„× wQj †h GKv nuvU‡Z cviwQj bv|

(c)

I met some of my school friends at the reunion. It was nearly ten years since we had last met.

Since-Gi cª_g Ask Past Indefinite _vK‡j c‡ii Ask Past Perfect nq|

(d)

Rupa has gained weight. It is high time she controlled her diet.

It is high time-Gi ci subject _vK‡j verb-Gi Past form nq| GLbB Dchy³ mgq Zvi Wv‡qU K‡›Uªvj Kivi|

(e)

The girl was all alone in the room. When I entered, she looked at me as though she had seen a ghost.

As though/As if-Gi cª_g Ask Past Indefinite n‡j c‡ii Ask Past Perfect nq|  

(f)

Cinderella suffered the cruelty of her step sisters. Had she had the courage to speak her mind, she would have protested.

GwU 3rd Conditional. Had + Subject + Past Participle _vK‡j c‡ii As‡k would have + V3 e‡m|

(g)

The woman bought some antique glasses. She carried them carefully lest they should break.

Lest hy³ ev‡K¨ subject-Gi ci should/might e‡m| †m mveav‡b wbw”Qj cv‡Q Møvm¸‡jv †f‡O bv hvq|

(h)

Our farmers are very hard-working. They work hard so that they can produce more crops.

So that (hv‡Z) _vK‡j mvaviYZ can/could e‡m| K„lKiv K‡Vvi cwikªg K‡i hv‡Z Zviv AwaK dmj djv‡Z cv‡i|

(i)

During exams, Article 144 is imposed in and around the exam hall. You cannot enter the exam hall unless you have an admit card.

Unless gv‡b 'hw` bv'| †Zvgvi Kv‡Q A¨vWwgU KvW© bv _vK‡j Zywg n‡j XyK‡Z cvi‡e bv|

(j)

Many of the politicians are corrupt. People hate them because they are dishonest.

mvaviY KviY `k©v‡Z because e¨eüZ n‡q‡Q| Zviv Amr e‡jB gvbyl Zv‡`i N„Yv K‡i| 

 

9.Sylhet Board-2025

  

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Rudaba could not recognize me at first. It was many years since we had met last.

Since-Gi cª_g Ask Past Indefinite _vK‡j c‡ii AskwU Past Perfect (had + V3) nq|

(b)

Student politics, nowadays, has become a serious issue. It is high time we banned dirty student politics.

It is high time-Gi ci Subject _vK‡j Verb-Gi Past form nq|

(c)

A newspaper is a storehouse of knowledge. A man can be benefited in many ways by reading it regularly.

By + Gerund (verb+ing) e¨envi K‡i †Kv‡bv Kv‡Ri gva¨g †evSv‡bv n‡q‡Q| wbqwgZ covi gva¨‡g GKRb gvbyl DcK„Z n‡Z cv‡i|

(d)

Traffic jam in Dhaka has been unbearable these days. Had I got a Helicopter, I would have reached my destination on time.

GwU 3rd Conditional. 'Had + Subject + V3' w`‡q evK¨ ïiæ n‡j Ab¨ As‡k 'would have + V3' e‡m| Am¤¢e Kíbv ev Avd‡mvm eySv‡Z GwU e¨eüZ nq|

(e)

A book fair is an attraction for the city-dwellers. Book-lovers gather in the fair so that they can buy their favorite books.

So that (hv‡Z) hy³ ev‡K¨ subject-Gi ci mvg_¨© eySv‡Z can/could e‡m| eB‡cªgxiv †gjvq R‡ov nq hv‡Z Zviv eB wKb‡Z cv‡i|

(f)

Our college has the best teachers of the country. The teachers are not only highly educated but also very helpful.

Not only ... but also GKwU Correlative conjunction. Avgv‡`i wk¶Kiv ïay D”Pwkw¶ZB bb, eis Zviv LyeB mvnvh¨KvixI|

(g)

Human body needs a balanced diet. If we take a balanced diet, it will keep us fit and healthy.

GwU 1st Conditional. 'If' hy³ AskwU Present Indefinite n‡j Ab¨ AskwU Future Indefinite nq|

(h)

Rahim Mia is a quack. He behaves as if he were a specialist doctor.

As if/As though-Gi Av‡Mi Ask Present Indefinite n‡j c‡ii As‡k 'be' verb wn‡m‡e memgq were e‡m

(i)

Success depends on the proper use of time. You will surely succeed provided that you work hard.

Provided that gv‡b n‡”Q 'hw`' (if)| Zywg Aek¨B mdj n‡e hw` Zywg K‡Vvi cwikªg K‡iv|

(j)

Time plays a very crucial role in human life. We cannot prosper in life unless we utilize our time properly.

Unless gv‡b 'hw` bv'| mg‡qi mwVK e¨envi bv Ki‡j Avgiv Rxe‡b DbœwZ Ki‡Z cvi‡ev bv|

 

10. Dhaka Board-2024

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Trees are essential for our existence. So, we should plant more trees.

cwi‡ek i¶vq †hŠw³K civgk©| MvQ Avgv‡`i Rb¨ Acwinvh©, ZvB Avgv‡`i MvQ jvMv‡bv DwPZ|

(b)

The rats are now thinking who will tie the bell on cat? Finally they realize it is easy to say but difficult to do.

cªev`: "It is easy to say but difficult to do." (ejv mnR wKš‘ Kiv KwVb)|

(c)

Wait until the rain stops. You should not go out alone.

Until (hZ¶Y bv) mgq wb‡`©k K‡i|

(d)

Love is divine. You can’t find others to love you unless you love them.

Unless (hw` bv) kZ© †evSvq|

(e)

Punctuality is a great virtue. So try to be punctual.

Try Gi ci infinitive (to + V1) e‡m|

(f)

The patient was so serious and we were looking for a doctor. Alas! The patient had died before the doctor came.

Before Gi Av‡Mi Ask Past Perfect n‡j c‡ii Ask Past Indefinite nq|

(g)

Sharing is a great habit. So, teach your children how to share.

Sharing is... evK¨wU c~Y© Ki‡Z GKwU noun/phrase cª‡qvRb|

(h)

Everybody must be conscious of health because it is the root of all happiness.

¯^v‡¯’¨i ¸iæZ¡ †evSv‡Z KviY `k©v‡bv n‡q‡Q|   

(i)

The train will start at 10 am. Now it is 09:55 am. So, walk fast lest you should miss the train.

Lest wbqg Abyhvqx subject + should/might + V1 e‡m|   

(j)

Corruption is a hindrance to national development. It is high time to take action against it/ we took action against it.

It is high time Gi ci Subject bv _vK‡j To +Verb nq| Subject _vK‡j  Past Indefinite (V2) e‡m|  

 

11. Chattogram Board-2024

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

I miss my maternal grandmother a lot. 15 years have passed since since I saw her last.

Since-Gi Av‡M Present Perfect n‡j c‡i Past Indefinite nq|

(b)

Zillur and Ashraf were lucky. No sooner had they reached the station than the train left.

No sooner had...than hy³ ev‡K¨ c‡ii As‡k Past Indefinite e‡m|

(c)

In our country, there are many people who live below the poverty line. Poverty is a cruse for any society.

People (e¨w³) Gi c‡i Relative Pronoun wn‡m‡e who e‡m|

(d)

Corruption is an obstacle to our national development. It is high time to fight against it/we fought against it.

It is high time Gi ci Subject bv _vK‡j To +Verb nq| Subject _vK‡j  Past Indefinite (V2) e‡m| 

(e)

Study sincerely lest you should fail in the exam.

Lest Gici Subject + should + Verb-Gi base form e‡m|

(f)

Nurjahan studies medicine so that she can serve the nation.

D‡Ïk¨ eySv‡Z So that Gici Subject + can/may + V1 e‡m|

(g)

Once there was an old man who had three sons. They were so lazy that they did not work at all.

So + adj + that Gici Kv‡Ri djvdj ev Ae¯’v e‡m|

(h)

Rezwan tried his best to get the job but he could not get it. Had he got the job, he would have been very happy.

Had + Sub + V3 w`‡q kZ© †evSv‡j c‡ii As‡k would have/could have/might have+ V3 e‡m|

(i)

The man who follows the rules of health can maintain a sound health.

The man-‡K wbw`©ó Ki‡Z who hy³ Clause e¨eüZ n‡q‡Q|

(j)

Florence Nightingale wanted to be a nurse with a view to serving the sick people.

D‡Ïk¨ eySv‡Z With a view to Gici Verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq|

 

12. Rajshahi Board-2024

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Had you sought my help, I would have helped you.

Had + Sub + V3 (3rd Conditional) Gi wbqg Abyhvqx DËi|

(b)

A man leading an indolent life cannot prosper in life.

Ajm e¨w³ Rxe‡b mdj n‡Z cv‡i bv-GwU GKwU wPišÍb mZ¨ K_v|

(c)

Strike the rod while it is hot.

cªev`: "Strike the iron while it is hot." (‡Svc ey‡S †Kvc gviv)|

(d)

The men who love their country are true patriots.

Who hy³ AskwU Subject m¤ú‡K© Z_¨ †`q|

(e)

The men who love their country lest you should fall behind.

Lest Gi ci memgq should e¨envi K‡i evK¨ MVb Ki‡Z nq|

(f)

Food adulteration is a crime. It is high time we checked it.

It is high time Gi ci Past Indefinite e¨envi K‡i †Rvi †`Iqv nq|

(g)

Childhood is the golden period of life. I wish I were a child again.

I wish Gi ci KvíwbK B”Qv †evSv‡Z were e‡m|

(h)

Scarcely had we got out of home when it started raining.

Scarcely had...when Gi †Rvov wbqg Abyhvqx c‡ii As‡k Past Indefinite|

(i)

I know the man who came here yesterday.

cwiwPZ †Kv‡bv e¨w³ m¤ú‡K© Z_¨ w`‡Z who e¨eüZ nq|

(j)

He feigns as though he knew everything.

As though Gi Av‡Mi Ask Present n‡j c‡ii Ask Past Indefinite nq|

 

13. Cumilla Board-2024

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

I’m so tired that I cannot walk anymore. Please, take a rickshaw right now.

So...that Gi wbq‡g †bwZevPK djvdj e‡m| K¬vwšÍi Kvi‡Y nuvU‡Z bv cviv|

(b)

Though Bangladesh is a small country, it has many beautiful places. We are proud of our world heritage sites.

Though hy³ ev‡K¨ wecixZag©x ev cwic~iK Z_¨ e‡m| †QvU †`k wKš‘ m¤ú` A‡bK|

(c)

I can’t recall his name. It is long since we met each other.

It is + time + since + Past Indefinite| A‡bKw`b n‡jv †`Lv nq bv|

(d)

She came to my room while I was sleeping. She didn’t wake me up.

While Gi ci KvR Pjgvb †evSv‡Z Past Continuous nq|

(e)

It is true that most of the parents of our country are not interested enough to educate their daughters. They think, educating their daughters is nothing but a wastage of time and money.

Interested to Gi ci D‡Ïk¨ e‡m| †g‡q‡`i cov‡bvi AvMªn †bB|

(f)

There are many helpless people around us. I wish I could help them.

I wish Gi ci m¶gZv †evSv‡Z Subject + could + V1 e‡m|

(g)

He likes photography very much. But unfortunately he has lost his camera. If he had the camera, he would take photos.

If + Past Indefinite + would + V1 (2nd Conditional)|

(h)

Be punctual lest you should be late.

Lest Gici Subject + should + V1 e‡m|

(i)

Our job market is getting very competitive. Unless you study well, you will not get a good job.

Unless gv‡b 'hw` bv'| cov‡kvbv bv Ki‡j PvKwi cvIqv KwVb|

(j)

It is too hot inside the room. Would you mind opening the window?

Would you mind Gi ci Verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq|

                                                                                                

 

14. Jashore Board-2024

  

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

The poor man knocked at my door. He came to me with a view to getting some financial help.

D‡Ïk¨ eySv‡Z With a view to Gici Verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq|

(b)

Many illiterate people do not have any knowledge of health. If they were educated they would know the rules of health.

If + Past (were), Sub + would/ could/ might + V1 (2nd Conditional)|

(c)

Scarcely had the teacher gone out of the room when the students started making noise.

Scarcely had...when Gi ci Past Indefinite nq|

(d)

My grandmother lives in a village. It is many years since I visited her last.

Since Gi Av‡Mi Ask Present n‡j c‡ii Ask Past Indefinite nq|

(e)

Trees are very important for our existence on earth. It is high time we planted more trees.

It is high time Gi ci Subject _vK‡j Past form (V2) nq|

(f)

Despite the fact that he worked very hard he did not get the promotion. He was rather disappointed.

Despite the fact that gv‡b 'Zv m‡Ë¡I'| K‡Vvi cwikªg m‡Ë¡I dj Av‡mwb|

(g)

You should finish your work today. A stitch in time saves nine.

cªev`: "A stitch in time saves nine." (mg‡qi GK †dvuo Amg‡qi `k †dvuo)|

(h)

You are making a long journey. Keep your phone turned on in case I need to contact you.

In case gv‡b 'hw` Ggb nq'| `iKv‡i †hvMv‡hvM Kivi Rb¨ †dvb †Lvjv ivLv|

(i)

My friend is going to the USA. I wish I could go with him.

eÜyi mv‡_ hvIqvi Am¤¢e B”Qv cªKvk|

(j)

Time is so valuable that it should not be wasted.

mg‡qi g~j¨ †evSv‡Z Gi mwVK e¨env‡ii ¸iæZ¡|

 

15. Barishal Board-2024

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

It is too late. Now I had better go to lunch.

Had better gv‡b 'eis fv‡jv'| †`wi n‡q hvIqvq jv‡Â hvIqv DwPZ|

(b)

It is a long time since we visited our village.

It is + time + since + Past Indefinite|

(c)

Had I earned enough money,  I would have bought a car.

Had + Sub + V3 (3rd Conditional) _vK‡j c‡i would have + V3 nq|

(d)

He is a quack but he talks to the patients as if he were an MBBS doctor.

As if Gi ci Aev¯Íe wKQy †evSv‡Z Subject-Gi ci were e‡m|

(e)

The girl returned home before evening lest she should face any danger.

Lest wbqg: cv‡Q fq nq eySv‡Z; (Sub + should + V1)|

(f)

Mira sings very well. If she gets opportunity, she will be a great singer.

If + Present + Future (1st Conditional)|

(g)

The poem is too difficult for me to understand.

Too + adjective + for (obj) + to + V1|

(h)

In spite of having all facilities, the boy could not succeed.

me myweav _vKv m‡Ë¡I †m mdj n‡Z cv‡iwb|

(i)

Patriotism is a noble virtue. It is high time we loved our country.

†`k‡K fvjevmvi GLbB Dchy³ mgq (It is high time + V2)|  

(j)

He studied hard so that he could make a good result.

So that (hv‡Z) Gi ci Subject + could + V1 (‡h‡nZy Av‡M studied-V2 Av‡Q)|

 

16. Dinajpur Board-2024

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

There goes a proverb, “Grasp all, lose all. If you want to get everything at a time, you may end up in losing everything.

GwU GKwU weL¨vZ cªev` (Proverb)| hvi A_© n‡jv "AwZ †jv‡f ZuvwZ bó"| AwZwi³ †jvf Ki‡j me nviv‡Z nq|

(b)

The first and foremost duty of a student is to study. Without studying hard, you can never expect a good result.

Without + Gerund (V+ing) e¨envi Kiv n‡q‡Q| K‡Vvi cwikªg Qvov fv‡jv djvdj cªZ¨vkv Kiv Am¤¢e|

(c)

You never speak the truth. I will not accompany you unless you speak the truth.

Unless gv‡b 'hw` bv'| Zywg hw` mZ¨ bv e‡jv (kZ©), Z‡e Avwg †Zvgvi m‡½ hve bv|

(d)

Early rising is good for health. You should rise early so that you can keep fit.

So that (hv‡Z) hy³ As‡k mvaviYZ subject + can/could + V1 e‡m| †fv‡i DV‡j kixi wdU ivLv m¤¢e|

(e)

Self-help is the best help and Allah helps those who help themselves.

GwU GKwU wPišÍb mZ¨ cªev`| Avjøvn Zv‡`iB mvnvh¨ K‡ib hviv wb‡R‡`i mvnvh¨ K‡i|

(f)

Don’t he tensed for my return. I will return after I shall have finished my work.

After-Gi cª_g Ask Future Indefinite n‡j c‡ii Ask Future Perfect n‡Z cv‡i| KvR †kl Kivi ci Avwg wdie|

(g)

You ought to read your texts again and again with a view to learning your lessons.

With a view to-Gi ci verb-Gi mv‡_ memgq ing hy³ nq| fv‡jv K‡i †kLvi D‡Ï‡k¨ evievi cov DwPZ|

(h)

You should remember that if you do not work hard, you will have a chance to fail in the exam. Work hard lest  you should fail.

Lest-Gi wbqg Abyhvqx Subject (you)-Gi ci Aek¨B should emv‡Z nq| cv‡Q Zywg cix¶vq †dj K‡iv|

(i)

It is 10 O’clock now. Our train will start exactly at 11 O’clock. It is high time we reached the station.

It is high time-Gi ci Subject (we) em‡j verb-Gi Past form (reached) nq| GLbB †÷k‡b hvIqvi mwVK mgq|

(j)

My childhood was full of happiness. Would that I were a child again.

Would that w`‡q †Kv‡bv Am¤¢e B”Qv cªKvk Kiv nq| †m‡¶‡Î Subject-Gi ci 'be' verb wn‡m‡e memgq were e‡m|

 

17. Mymensingh Board-2024

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Patriotism is a noble virtue. It is high time we developed patriotism.

‡`k‡cªg evov‡bvi GLbB mgq (It is high time + V2)|

(b)

Hasan got GPA 4.50. Had he studied seriously he would have got GPA 5.00.

Had + Sub + V3 (3rd Conditional) _vK‡j would have + V3 nq|

(c)

Time is valuable. Those who waste time cannot succeed in life.

hviv mgq bó K‡i Zviv Rxe‡b DbœwZ Ki‡Z cv‡i bv|

(d)

This ceiling is not so high. He is tall enough to touch it.

Tall enough + to + V1| †m h‡_ó j¤^v GUv ¯úk© Kivi Rb¨|

(e)

Lock the door and keep the key in a safe place lest you should lose it.

Lest gv‡b 'cv‡Q fq nq †h'| wbqg Abyhvqx Lest Gi ci Subject + should/might + V1 e‡m| PvwewU mveav‡b iv‡Lv cv‡Q nvwi‡q bv hvq|

(f)

You cannot understand everything clearly unless you listen attentively.

Unless gv‡b 'hw` bv'| GwU GKwU kZ©g~jK evK¨| hw` Zywg gb w`‡q bv †kv‡bv (kZ©), Z‡e Zywg wKQyB cwi®‹vifv‡e eyS‡e bv|

(g)

A lot of passengers were waiting at the bus stop. A bus came. But the bus was so small that it could not take more passengers.

So + adjective + that structure e¨envi Kiv n‡q‡Q| evmwU GZB †QvU wQj †h GwU Avi hvÎx wb‡Z cviwQj bv|

(h)

Inspite of facing so many drawbacks in life he became successful ultimately.

In spite of gv‡b 'm‡Ë¡I'| Rxe‡b A‡bK cªwZK~jZv _vKv m‡Ë¡I †m †kl ch©šÍ mdj n‡qwQj| GwU wecixZag©x Ae¯’v eySv‡Z e¨eüZ nq|

(i)

Ayesha is a bright student. She studies hard so that she can shine in life.

So that (hv‡Z) Gi wbqg Abyhvqx c‡ii As‡k Subject + can/could + V1 e‡m| Av‡qkv K‡Vvi cov‡kvbv K‡i hv‡Z †m Rxe‡b DbœwZ Ki‡Z cv‡i|

(j)

Freedom is man’s birth right. He is born free but everywhere he is in chains.

GwU weL¨vZ `vk©wbK Ru-RvK iæ‡mv (Jean-Jacques Rousseau)-Gi GKwU Dw³| gvbyl Rb¥MZfv‡e ¯^vaxb, wKš‘ me©ÎB †m k„•LwjZ|

 

 18. Dhaka Board-2023

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Honesty is the best policy. If you maintain honesty, you will be respected by all.

If + Present + Future (1st Conditional)|

(b)

English is an international language. I wish I could speak English fluently.

I wish Gici m¶gZv †evSv‡Z Subject + could + V1 e‡m|

(c)

It is a long time since since we met last.

It is + time + since + Past Indefinite|

(d)

He talks too much while doing his work. I don’t like people who talk too much.

Who GLv‡b eûePb (people) †K †evSv‡”Q, ZvB Verb-Gi mv‡_ s/es n‡e bv|

(e)

The beggar was very hungry. No sooner had he got a piece of loaf on the road than he started eating it.

No sooner had...than Gi c‡ii As‡k Past Indefinite e‡m|

(f)

The old man is very weak. He is walking slowly lest he should fall down.

Lest gv‡b 'cv‡Q fq nq †h'| wbqg Abyhvqx Lest Gi ci Subject + should/might + V1 e‡m| c‡o hvIqvi f‡q e„×wU ax‡i nuvU‡Qb|

(g)

A student should not memorize any answer blindly. If he memorizes the answer without knowing the meaning, he will fail to apply it.

gyL¯’ Kivi Kydj †evSv‡Z Future Indefinite e¨envi Kiv n‡q‡Q| If + Present + Future (1st Conditional)|

(h)

Corruption is the main hindrance to the development of our country. It is high time we eradicated it.

`yb©xwZ `g‡bi GLbB Dchy³ mgq (It is high time + V2)|

(i)

Had I earned enough money I would have helped the poor.

Had I earned... GwU 3q kZ©hy³ evK¨ (3rd Conditional)|

(j)

My brother will come to Rajshahi from Dhaka. So I have to go to station with a view to receiving him.

With a view to Gici Verb+ing e‡m|

 

19. Chattogram Board-2023

  

Gap

Questions with Answer

Anaswer Explanation

(a)

We take physical exercise so that we can keep our body fit.

So that gv‡b 'hv‡Z', Gici Subject + can + V1 e‡m|

(b)

Air is polluted in many ways. It is high time we stopped air pollution.

It is high time Gi ci Subject _vK‡j Verb-Gi Past form (V2) nq|

(c)

Prosperity does not come in one's life automatically. If you do not work hard, you can't prosper in life.

If + Present (Negative)| K‡Vvi cwikªg bv Ki‡j DbœwZ m¤¢e bq|

(d)

Time is very important in our life. You can't succeed in life unless you use your time properly.

Unless gv‡b 'hw` bv'| mdj n‡Z mg‡qi mwVK e¨envi kZ©|

(e)

He wrote very quickly. He had finished the exam before the bell rang.

Before Gi Av‡Mi Ask Past Perfect n‡j c‡ii Ask Past Indefinite nq|

(f)

A village doctor is a person who treats the poor villagers. He is the best firend to the villagers.

Who GLv‡b Mªvg¨ Wv³v‡ii KvR ev ˆewkó¨ †evSv‡”Q|

(g)

We all are attracted to gold. But all that glitters is not gold.

cªev`: "All that glitters is not gold." (PKPK Ki‡jB †mvbv nq bv)|

(h)

I am fond of cricket. I wish I could play for the national team.

I wish Gi ci mvg_¨© †evSv‡Z Subject + could + V1 e‡m|

(i)

He walks slowly lest he should fall down.

Lest Gici Subject + should + V1 e‡m|

(j)

He is dull headed. The poem is too difficult for him to understand.

Too + adjective + for (obj) + to + V1|

 

20. Rajshahi Board-2023

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

The martyrs laid down their lives in 1971. They did it so that we could get a free country.

So that Gi Av‡M Past tense _vK‡j c‡i could + V1 nq|

(b)

It’s too late. Had we started earlier, we would not have missed the train.

3rd Conditional: Av‡M Had _vK‡j c‡i would have + V3 e‡m|

(c)

The poem is too difficult for the students to memorize.

KweZvwU Qv·`i Rb¨ gyL¯’ Kiv KwVb (Too...to Gi wbqg)|

(d)

Danger comes where danger is feared. So, we have to be careful in our life.

cªev`: †hLv‡b ev‡Ni fq †mLv‡bB ivZ nq|

(e)

She spoke as if she knew everything. She was actually a quack.

As if Gi Av‡M Present _vK‡j c‡i Past Indefinite (V2) nq|

(f)

The thief was afraid of police. He ran away lest he should be arrested.

Lest Gi ci Subject + should e‡m| (Be n‡”Q nIqv A‡_©)|

(g)

Despite his poverty, he helps his relatives.

Despite Gi ci Noun/Noun phrase e‡m| †m Mwie nIqv m‡Ë¡I mvnvh¨ K‡i|

(h)

He took Logic instead of History. History seems to be difficult to him.

‡m BwZnv‡mi e`‡j (instead of) jwRK wb‡qwQj|

(i)

If I had been hungry, I would have eaten food. But I am not hungry at all.

If + Past Perfect + would have + V3 (3rd Conditional)|

(j)

Corruption is a curse. It is high time the government took strict steps.

It is high time Gi ci Subject _vK‡j V2 e‡m|

 

21. Jashore Board-2023

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Florence Nightingale wanted to be a nurse with a view to serving the sick people.

With a view to-Gi ci memgq verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq| †d¬v‡iÝ bvBwU‡½j Amy¯’‡`i †mev Kivi D‡Ï‡k¨ bvm© n‡Z †P‡qwQ‡jb|

(b)

If I had the wings of a bird, I would fly in the sky.

GwU 2nd Conditional. If hy³ As‡k Past Indefinite _vK‡j c‡ii As‡k would/could/might + V1 e‡m| GwU GKwU Am¤¢e Kíbv|

(c)

Unity is strength. United we stand, divided we fall.

GwU GKwU AwZ cwiwPZ cªev` (Proverb)| GKZvq ej; GK _vK‡j Avgiv wU‡K _vK‡ev, Avjv`v n‡j cZb NU‡e|

(d)

Time plays a very crucial role in human life. We cannot prosper in life unless we work hard.

Unless gv‡b 'hw` bv'| hw` bv Avgiv K‡Vvi cwikªg Kwi, Z‡e Avgiv Rxe‡b DbœwZ Ki‡Z cvi‡ev bv|

(e)

Whenever my uncle comes to our house, he brings something for me. I have never seen him coming to our house empty-handed.

Whenever (hLbB) w`‡q GKwU wbqwgZ KvR eySv‡bv n‡q‡Q| cieZ©x ev‡K¨ 'Lvwj nv‡Z Avm‡Z †`wLwb' ejvq GwU wbwðZ nq †h wZwb wKQy wb‡q Av‡mb|

(f)

It is high time you gave up smoking. It is detrimental to health.

It is high time-Gi ci Subject _vK‡j verb-Gi Past form (V2) nq| a~gcvb Z¨v‡Mi GLbB Dchy³ mgq|

(g)

The box is very heavy. Are you strong enough to lift it?

Adjective + enough + to + V1 structure e¨envi Kiv n‡q‡Q| Zywg wK GwU †Zvjvi g‡Zv h‡_ó kw³kvjx?

(h)

John is fond of reading. Whenever he goes to the book fair, he buys some books.

‡m eB co‡Z cQ›` K‡i, ZvB hLbB †gjvq hvq, †m wKQy eB †K‡b| GwU Zvi ¯^fveRvZ KvR|

(i)

Rima is a good singer. She sings so well that everyone gets amazed.

So + adverb + that structure. †m GZB fv‡jv Mvq †h mevB gy» n‡q hvq|

(j)

Since Bangladesh is an agricultural country, its economy depends on agriculture. We should put emphasis on our agricultural sectors.

Since (‡h‡nZy) e¨envi K‡i KviY eySv‡bv n‡q‡Q| †h‡nZy GwU K„wlcªavb †`k, Gi A_©bxwZ K„wli Ici wbf©ikxj|

22. Barishal Board-2023

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Patriotism is a noble virtue. We all should have patriotism to serve our country.

‡`k‡cªg GKwU gnr ¸Y| †`‡ki †mev Kivi Rb¨ Avgv‡`i mevi g‡a¨ †`k‡cªg _vKv DwPZ|

(b)

Our freedom fighters risked their lives in the war of liberation so that we could live independently.

So that (hv‡Z) Gi wbqg Abyhvqx-cª_g Ask Past tense n‡j c‡ii As‡k Subject + could/might + V1 e‡m| Avgv‡`i gyw³‡hv×viv cªvY w`‡qwQ‡jb hv‡Z Avgiv ¯^vaxbfv‡e euvP‡Z cvwi|

(c)

He was not hungry at all. Had he been hungry, he would have eaten more.

GwU 3rd Conditional. 'Had + Sub + V3' w`‡q ïiæ n‡j Ab¨ As‡k would have + V3 e‡m| †m hw` ¶yavZ© n‡Zv, Z‡e †m AviI †ewk †LZ|

(d)

They continued to walk until they reached their destination.

Until (ch©šÍ) mgq wb‡`©k K‡i| Zviv ZZ¶Y †nu‡UwQj hZ¶Y bv Zviv MšÍ‡e¨ †cŠuQvj|

(e)

She can't ride a bicycle, let alone drive a car.

Let alone gv‡b n‡jv 'fvev hvq bv' ev 'wPšÍvB Kiv hvq bv'| †m mvB‡KjB Pvjv‡Z cv‡i bv, Avi Mvwo Pvjv‡bv †Zv `~‡ii K_v|

(f)

Corruption is rampant in the country. It is high time the government punished the corrupted people.

It is high time-Gi ci Subject _vK‡j verb-Gi Past form (punished) e‡m| GLbB mgq miKv‡ii `yb©xwZevR‡`i kvw¯Í †`Iqvi|

(g)

21st February is a red-letter day in our national history, because we sacrificed our lives for Bangla.

Because w`‡q KviY eySv‡bv n‡q‡Q| 21‡k †deªæqvwi ¯§iYxq w`b KviY GB w`‡b Avgiv fvlvi Rb¨ cªvY w`‡qwQjvg|

(h)

There goes a proverb where there is a will, there is a way.

GwU GKwU cªev` evK¨| hvi A_©-"B”Qv _vK‡j Dcvq nq|"

(i)

Mira has not been able to recall where she had kept her phone.

Noun Clause Gi e¨envi| gxiv g‡b Ki‡Z cvi‡Q bv †m †Kv_vq Zvi †dvbwU †i‡LwQj|

(j)

No sooner had she crossed the main gate than the train left.

No sooner had... than Gi wbqg: No sooner had Gi As‡k Past Perfect nq Ges than Gi c‡ii As‡k Past Indefinite nq| †m †gBb †MU cvi n‡Z bv n‡ZB †UªbwU †Q‡o w`j|

 

23. Sylhet Board-2023 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Most of the rivers are getting polluted day by day. It is high time we took steps to save them.

It is high time-Gi ci Subject _vK‡j verb-Gi Past form (took) nq| b`x¸‡jv `~wlZ n‡”Q, ZvB GLbB Dchy³ mgq e¨e¯’v †bIqvi|

(b)

Milk is rich in food values. We should take milk everyday so that we can be healthy.

So that (hv‡Z) Gi wbqg Abyhvqx Subject-Gi ci can/could e‡m| ¯^v¯’¨evb nIqvi D‡Ï‡k¨ Avgv‡`i `ya cvb Kiv DwPZ|

(c)

Mr. John is very interested in tourism. He wants to visit Bangladesh with a view to enjoying its natural beauty.

With a view to-Gi ci verb-Gi mv‡_ memgq ing hy³ nq| cªvK„wZK †mŠ›`h© Dc‡fvM Kivi D‡Ï‡k¨ wZwb evsjv‡`k Nyi‡Z Pvb|

(d)

I like to play cricket in my leisure time. When I get a chance, I play with my friends.

When hy³ ev‡K¨ mgq ev my‡hvM wb‡`©k Kiv nq| hLbB my‡hvM cvB, eÜy‡`i mv‡_ †Lwj|

(e)

No nation can develop without education. So, it is rightly said that education is the backbone of a nation.

GwU GKwU wPišÍb mZ¨ K_v ev cªev`| wk¶v n‡jv RvwZi †giæ`Ð|

(f)

Mina really sings well. If she gets opportunity, she will shine in life.

GwU 1st Conditional. If hy³ Ask Present Indefinite n‡j c‡ii Ask Future Indefinite (will + V1) nq|

(g)

He was a petty clerk. But he behaved as though he had been a big boss.

As though/As if-Gi cª_g Ask Past Indefinite n‡j c‡ii Ask Past Perfect (had + been) nq| †m Ggb AvPiY K‡iwQj †hb †m eo †Kv‡bv em&|

(h)

The weather of that night was very rough. I would have met you provided the weather were good.

Provided gv‡b 'hw`' (if)| GwU Conditional evK¨ wn‡m‡e KvR K‡i| AvenvIqv fv‡jv n‡j Avwg †Zvgvi mv‡_ †`Lv KiZvg|

(i)

Bangladesh is a small country. Though it has a small area, it has a huge population.

Though/Although (hw`I) wecixZ A_© cªKv‡k e¨eüZ nq| hw`I AvqZb †QvU, wKš‘ RbmsL¨v wekvj|

(j)

English is an international language. There is not a country in the world where English is not spoken.

Bs‡iwR GKwU AvšÍR©vwZK fvlv| we‡k¦ Ggb †Kv‡bv †`k †bB †hLv‡b Bs‡iwR ejv nq bv|

 

24. Dinajpur Board-2023

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Honesty is the best policy. The people who are honest are respected by all.

Relative Pronoun (who)-Gi e¨envi| hviv mr, Zviv mevi Kv‡Q m¤§vwbZ nq|

(b)

Because of greenhouse effect, the climate is changing rapidly.

Because of (Kvi‡Y) w`‡q †Kv‡bv NUbvi KviY `k©v‡bv n‡q‡Q| wMªbnvDm B‡d‡±i Kvi‡Y Rjevqy `ªæZ cwiewZ©Z n‡”Q|

(c)

You cannot shine in life unless you work hard.

Unless gv‡b 'hw` bv'| Rxe‡b mdj n‡Z n‡j K‡Vvi cwikª‡gi †Kv‡bv weKí †bB (kZ©)|

(d)

Overeating is harmful to health. It is high time we changed our eating habits.

It is high time-Gi ci Subject _vK‡j verb-Gi Past form (changed) nq| GLbB Dchy³ mgq Lv`¨vf¨vm cwieZ©b Kivi|

(e)

There goes a proverb that morning shows the day.

GwU GKwU cªev` evK¨| hvi A_©- "DVšÍ g~‡jv cˇbB †Pbv hvq" ev mKv‡ji AvenvIqv †`L‡jB †evSv hvq w`bwU †Kgb hv‡e|

(f)

I work hard although I am weak.

Although (hw`I) wecixZag©x ev msNvZc~Y© `ywU Ae¯’v cªKvk K‡i| `ye©j nIqv m‡Ë¡I Avwg K‡Vvi cwikªg Kwi|

(g)

No sooner had I reached the college than the bell rang.

No sooner had... than Gi wbqg Abyhvqx-cª_g Ask Past Perfect Ges than Gi c‡ii Ask Past Indefinite (rang) nq| K‡j‡R †cŠuQv‡Z bv †cŠuQv‡ZB NÈv coj|

(h)

There are so many poor people in our country. I wish I could help them.

I wish Gi ci Am¤¢e B”Qv ev AvKv•¶v cªKvk Ki‡Z Subject-Gi ci could + V1 A_ev were e‡m|

(i)

Inspite of having all facilities, the boy could not succeed.

In spite of (m‡Ë¡I) wecixZ A_© †`q| me ai‡bi my‡hvM-myweav _vKv m‡Ë¡I †Q‡jwU mdj n‡Z cv‡iwb|

(j)

The old man who is sitting in the corner is my grandfather.

Relative Pronoun (who) Zvi wVK Av‡Mi noun (The old man)-‡K wb‡`©k K‡i evK¨wU c~Y© K‡i‡Q|

 

25. Mymensingh Board-2023

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

There was a little rain yesterday. If it had rained heavily, the crops would have been damaged.

GwU 3rd Conditional. 'If + Past Perfect' _vK‡j Ab¨ As‡k would have + V3 e‡m| hw` Kvj fvix e„wó n‡Zv, Z‡e dmj bó n‡q †hZ|

(b)

Though junk foods look appetizing, they are harmful to health. We should avoid them.

Though (hw`I) wecixZ A_© cªKvk K‡i| Lvevi¸‡jv †`L‡Z gyL‡ivPK n‡jI G¸‡jv ¯^v‡¯’¨i Rb¨ ¶wZKi|

(c)

Opportunity does not always come. You would have succeeded in life provided that you had worked hard.

Provided that (hw`) GLv‡b kZ© wn‡m‡e KvR Ki‡Q| GwU 3rd Conditional wbq‡g MwVZ n‡q‡Q-Zywg mdj n‡Z hw` K‡Vvi cwikªg Ki‡Z|

(d)

The old man is very weak. He walks very slowly lest he should stumble.

Lest (cv‡Q fq nq †h) Gi ci Subject + should/might + V1 e‡m| e„× †jvKwU Lye ax‡i nuv‡Ub cv‡Q wZwb †nvuPU bv Lvb|

(e)

The amount of waste is growing rapidly all over the world and polluting the environment. It is high time we took necessary steps.

It is high time-Gi ci Subject _vK‡j verb-Gi Past form (took) nq| cwi‡ek `~lY †iv‡a GLbB c`‡¶c †bIqvi mwVK mgq|

(f)

I wish I were a poet. I would express my feelings in my poems.

I wish Gi ci Am¤¢e B”Qv eySv‡Z 'be' verb wn‡m‡e memgq were e‡m| Avgvi B”Qv hw` Avwg GKRb Kwe nZvg!

(g)

English is an international language. We need to learn it as it is used globally.

As (‡h‡nZy) w`‡q KviY `k©v‡bv n‡q‡Q| †h‡nZy GwU wek¦Ry‡o e¨eüZ nq, ZvB Avgv‡`i GwU †kLv cª‡qvRb|

(h)

Kiran got a foreign scholarship. She was so happy that she started dancing.

So + adj + that structure. †m GZB Lywk wQj †h †m bvP‡Z ïiæ K‡iwQj|

(i)

It was my first lecture. I was too nervous to deliver my speech.

Too + adj + to + V1 structure. Avwg GZB bvf©vm wQjvg †h e³e¨ w`‡Z cviwQjvg bv| (GwU †bwZevPK A_© †`q)|

(j)

Manners define a man. We always appreciate a person who has good manners.

Relative Pronoun (who)-Gi e¨envi| Avgiv memgq †mB e¨w³‡K cªksmv Kwi hvi fv‡jv AvPiY Av‡Q|

 

26. Dhaka Board-2022

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

I could not recognise you at first. It was many years since we had met last.

Since Gi Av‡M Past Indefinite _vK‡j c‡i Past Perfect nq|

(b)

Water is polluted in different ways. It is high time we stopped water pollution.

It is high time Gi ci Subject _vK‡j Verb-Gi Past form (V2) nq|

(c)

I think you are not regular in studies. Be attentive lest you should fail in the exam.

Lest Gici Subject + should + V1 e‡m|

(d)

Birds fly in the sky freely. Had I the wings of a bird I would fly in the sky.

Had I... (hw` Avgvi _vKZ) GwU Conditional evK¨, ZvB c‡i would + V1 e‡m|

(e)

There are many obstacles in our way to success. We must work hard so that we can succeed in life.

So that gv‡b 'hv‡Z', Gici Subject + can/may + V1 e‡m|

 

27. Chattogram Board-2022

   

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Time once lost is lost forever. So, we should utilize time properly.

cªev`: "Time once lost is lost forever." (mgq GKevi P‡j †M‡j Avi †d‡i bv)|

(b)

All around us are not friends. In fact, friends in need are real friends.

cªev`: "A friend in need is a friend indeed." (Amg‡qi eÜyB cªK„Z eÜy)|

(c)

For higher education, we should learn English. So, it is high time to learn English/ we learned English.

It is high time Gi ci V2   

It is high time Gi ci to + V1

(d)

Neighbours are those persons who live adjacent to us. As man cannot live alone, he needs neighbours/society.

gvbyl mvgvwRK Rxe, ZvB GKv _vK‡Z cv‡i bv|

(e)

Birds fly in the sky. I wish I could fly like them.

I wish Gici m¶gZv †evSv‡Z Subject + could + V1 e‡m|

 

28. Rajshahi Board-2022

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

If I had a camera, I would take many photos. I like photography very much.

If + Past Indefinite, Sub + would + V1 (2nd Conditional)|

(b)

Though he was brilliant, he could not make a good result. He was very irregular in his college.

Though hy³ clause-G wecixZag©x djvdj e‡m|

(c)

Jamil had an accident yesterday while he was crossing the road.

While Gi ci KvR Pjgvb †evSv‡Z Past Continuous (was/were+ing) nq|

(d)

I am not a rich man. The car is too expensive for me to buy.

Too + adj + for + obj + to + V1 Gi wbqg|

(e)

There goes a proverb that a man is known by the company he keeps. So, we should make friendship with a gentleman.

cªev`: m½ †`‡L gvbyl †Pbv hvq|

 

29. Cumilla Board-2022

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Had he been a poet he would have written many poems.

Had + Sub + V3 (3rd Conditional) Gi ci would have + V3 e‡m|

(b)

Honesty is a great virtue. We should not like those who are dishonest.

Those (e¨w³) Gi ci Relative pronoun 'who' e‡m|

(c)

A rainy day is the day when it rains all day long.

When w`‡q mgq ev w`‡bi eY©bv †`Iqv n‡q‡Q|

(d)

All of us should try our best to build a bright career.

Try one's best Gi ci D‡Ïk¨ †evSv‡Z to + V1 e‡m|

(e)

It is very cold. They have to put on warm clothes so that they can protect themselves from cold.

So that gv‡b hv‡Z; kxZ †_‡K euvP‡Z Zviv Mig Kvco c‡i|

 

30. Jashore Board-2022

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Sabbir Khan is a quack. He behaves as though he were an MBBS doctor.

As though/As if-Gi Av‡Mi Ask Present Indefinite n‡j c‡ii As‡k Aev¯Íe Kíbv eySv‡Z 'be' verb wn‡m‡e memgq were e‡m|

(b)

A proverb goes that honesty is the best policy.

GwU GKwU eûj cªPwjZ cªev` evK¨ (Proverb)| hvi A_© n‡jv-mZZvB m‡e©vËg cš’v|

(c)

I found a box in the room. The box was too heavy for me to carry.

Too + adjective + for (someone) + to + V1 structure e¨envi Kiv n‡q‡Q|

(d)

Corruption is an obstacle to our national development. It is high time to stop corruption/ we took strict action against it.

It is high time-Gi ci Subject (we) em‡j verb-Gi Past form (took) nq|

(e)

It is love that makes everything beautiful.

GwU GKwU 'It is... that' hy³ †Rvi cª`vbKvix evK¨ (Emphatic sentence)| fv‡jvevmv Ggb GK wRwbm hv mewKQy‡K my›`i K‡i †Zv‡j|

 

31. Barishal Board-2022 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

I can't recall his name. It is long since since we met.

Since-Gi cª_g Ask Present Indefinite n‡j c‡ii Ask Past Indefinite (V2) nq|

(b)

A village doctor is a person who treats the poor villagers. He is the best friend to the villagers.

Relative Pronoun (who)-Gi e¨envi| Mªvg¨ Wv³vi n‡jb †mB e¨w³ whwb Mwie Mªvgevmx‡`i wPwKrmv K‡ib|

(c)

Our country is beset with many problems. We all should come forward in order to solve these problems.

In order to-Gi ci verb-Gi base form (V1) e‡m| mgm¨v¸‡jv mgvavb Kivi D‡Ï‡k¨ Avgv‡`i mevi GwM‡q Avmv DwPZ|

(d)

Whenever he speaks in English, he makes mistakes. Infact, we learn through mistakes.

Whenever (hLbB) w`‡q GKwU wbqwgZ NUbv eySv‡bv n‡q‡Q| cieZ©x ev‡K¨ 'fy‡ji gva¨‡g wkwL' ejvq GwU wbwðZ nq †h †m K_v ejvi mgq fyj K‡i|

(e)

A student has to be punctual. He has to study regularly lest he should fail in the exam.

Lest (cv‡Q fq nq †h) Gi ci Subject + should + V1 e‡m| wbqwgZ cov DwPZ cv‡Q †m cix¶vq †dj bv K‡i|

 

 

 

 

32. Sylhet Board-2022 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

A good student must possess some noble qualities.

GKRb fv‡jv Qv‡Îi wKQy gnr ¸Y _vKv Avek¨K| GLv‡b Must (Aek¨B) Gi ci Verb-Gi base form e‡m‡Q|

(b)

The student who is industrious is a good student.

GLv‡b Relative Pronoun (who) e¨envi Kiv n‡q‡Q| †h cwikªgx (industrious), †mB fv‡jv QvÎ|

(c)

He must be honest in thought, active in habit and obedient to his parents and teachers.

GLv‡b c¨vivjvwjRg (Parallelism) eRvq ivLv n‡q‡Q| mr, Kg©V Ges eva¨-GB ¸Y¸‡jv GKmv‡_ cªKvk Kiv n‡q‡Q|

(d)

Maintaining good health is another quality of an ideal student.

Gerund (Maintaining) GLv‡b Subject wn‡m‡e KvR Ki‡Q| fv‡jv ¯^v¯’¨ eRvq ivLv GKRb Av`k© Qv‡Îi Ab¨Zg ¸Y|

(e)

He, who studies regularly makes a glorious result in the examination.

GwU GKwU Complex sentence| Who Gi antecedent n‡jv 'He', ZvB Gi c‡ii verb-Gi mv‡_ s/es (studies) hy³ n‡q‡Q|

 

33. Dinajpur Board-2022 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

I am waiting for the chairman. Can you tell me when he will come?

mgq Rvb‡Z When hy³ interrogative/noun clause|

(b)

Development of a country depends on the active participation of every citizen. Bangladesh expects that every citizen will work hard.

‡`‡ki cªZ¨vkv †evSv‡Z Future Indefinite| evsjv‡`k Avkv K‡i †h (Expects that) cªwZwU bvMwiK K‡Vvi cwikªg Ki‡e|

(c)

Give me your address. I will send the documents which you need.

Documents m¤ú‡K© Z_¨ w`‡Z 'which' hy³ Clause|

(d)

Her son died in an accident. She was so grief-stricken that she even could not cry. She had to cry, or she would have become ill.

Or Gi Av‡M Past nIqvq c‡i would+V1 ev would have+V3 n‡Z cv‡i|

(e)

There is a job vacancy announced on BD.Job.Com. Anyone who wants to apply can visit the website.

Relative Pronoun (who) Gi e¨envi| †h †KD †h Av‡e`b Ki‡Z Pvq (Who wants to apply) †m I‡qemvB‡U wfwRU Ki‡Z cv‡i|

 

34. Mymensingh Board-2022 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Florence Nightingale wanted to be a nurse with a view to serving the sick people.

With a view to-Gi ci memgq verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq| Amy¯’‡`i †mev Kivi D‡Ï‡k¨ wZwb bvm© n‡Z †P‡qwQ‡jb|

(b)

We are a free nation now. 1971 is the year when we achieved our independence.

mg‡qi †¶‡Î Relative Pronoun (when) e‡m| 1971 mvj n‡jv †mB eQi hLb Avgiv Avgv‡`i ¯^vaxbZv AR©b K‡iwQjvg|

(c)

I don't have enough money. Had I been a rich man,I would have helped you.

GwU 3rd Conditional. 'Had + Subject + V3' w`‡q evK¨ ïiæ n‡j Ab¨ As‡k would have + V3 e‡m|

(d)

My final examination is going on. I studied hard lest I should fail in the exam.

Lest (cv‡Q fq nq †h) Gi ci Subject + should/might + V1 e‡m| Avwg K‡Vvi cov‡kvbv K‡iwQjvg cv‡Q cix¶vq †dj bv Kwi|

(e)

Man proposes, but God disposes.

GwU GKwU AwZ cwiwPZ cªev` evK¨ (Proverb)|

 

35. Dhaka Board-2019              

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

We are late. The class will start soon. Walk fast lest you should miss the class.

Lest (cv‡Q fq nq †h) Gi ci Subject + should/might + V1 e‡m|

(b)

There goes a proverb that Time and tide wait for none. So, we must make proper use of time.

GwU GKwU weL¨vZ cªev` evK¨| mgq I †mªvZ Kv‡iv Rb¨ A‡c¶v K‡i bv|

(c)

The condition of Mitu's father was not well. If I knew his mobile number, I would call him.

GwU 2nd Conditional. If hy³ As‡k Past Indefinite _vK‡j Ab¨ As‡k would/could + V1 e‡m|

(d)

Though Bangladesh is a small country, it has many tourist spots. We are proud of our world heritage sites.

Though (hw`I) wecixZ Z_¨ w`‡Z e¨eüZ nq| AvqZb †QvU nIqv m‡Ë¡I Avgv‡`i A‡bK ch©Ub †K›`ª Av‡Q|

(e)

We are a free nation now. 1971 is the year when we achieved our victory.

mg‡qi †¶‡Î Relative Pronoun (when) e‡m| 1971 mvj n‡jv †mB eQi hLb Avgiv weRq AR©b K‡iwQjvg|

(f)

English is an international language.Unless you learn English, you cannot get a good job.

Unless gv‡b 'hw` bv'| hw` Zywg Bs‡iwR bv †k‡Lv (kZ©), Z‡e fv‡jv PvKwi cv‡e bv|

(g)

I found a box in the room. The box was too heavy for me to carry.

Too + adjective + for (someone) + to + V1 structure. e·wU Avgvi enb Kivi Rb¨ A‡bK †ewk fvix wQj|

(h)

I was really in a great danger. He came here with a view to helping me.

With a view to (D‡Ï‡k¨) Gi ci memgq verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq|

(i)

I can't recall his name. It is long since we met last.

Since-Gi cª_g Ask Present Indefinite n‡j c‡ii Ask Past Indefinite (V2) nq|

(j)

Time will decide everything. Do your best to get success.

GLv‡b GKwU †hŠw³K Dc‡`k †`Iqv n‡q‡Q| mgq me wVK K‡i †`‡e, Zywg mdj n‡Z †Zvgvi m‡e©v”P †Póv K‡iv|

 

36. Chittagong Board-2019 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

English is an international language. So, to keep pace with the process of globalization we should learn English.

To keep pace with gv‡b 'Zvj wgwj‡q Pjv'| wek¦vq‡bi mv‡_ Zvj wgwj‡q Pj‡Z Avgv‡`i Bs‡iwR †kLv DwPZ|

(b)

I am an early riser. I am used to walking in the morning.

Be used to (am used to) Gi ci verb-Gi mv‡_ memgq ing hy³ nq| Avwg mKv‡j nuvU‡Z Af¨¯Í|

(c)

You are getting fat. If you want to lose weight, you must take exercise.

GwU 1st Conditional. IRb Kgv‡Z PvB‡j (kZ©), †Zvgv‡K Aek¨B e¨vqvg Ki‡Z n‡e|

(d)

Many people of our country are illiterate. They do not know how to read and write.

Know how to e¨envi K‡i †Kv‡bv KvR cvivi `¶Zv eySv‡bv n‡q‡Q| Zviv co‡Z I wjL‡Z Rv‡b bv|

(e)

Women constitute half of the total population of our country. No progress is possible without educating women.

Without + Gerund (V+ing) e¨envi Kiv n‡q‡Q| bvix‡`i wkw¶Z Kiv Qvov †Kv‡bv DbœwZ m¤¢e bq|

(f)

An unhealthy man cannot enjoy life. A proverb goes that Health is wealth.

GwU GKwU wPišÍb mZ¨ cªev` evK¨| ¯^v¯’¨B mKj my‡Li g~j ev ¯^v¯’¨B m¤ú`|

(g)

She loves reading. She will be reading while we are sleeping.

While w`‡q `ywU Pjgvb KvR‡K GKmv‡_ eySv‡bv n‡q‡Q| Avgiv hLb Nygv‡ev, ZLb †m co‡Z _vK‡e|

(h)

Habit of eating is also important for good health. We should eat a balanced diet to keep fit.

kixi wVK ivLvi D‡Ï‡k¨ (Purpose) GLv‡b to + V1 (Infinitive) e¨envi Kiv n‡q‡Q|

(i)

Environment pollution is a serious problem nowadays. We should plant trees to save the environment.

cwi‡ek i¶v‡_© Avgv‡`i MvQ jvMv‡bv DwPZ| GLv‡bI D‡Ïk¨ eySv‡Z to + V1 e‡m‡Q|

(j)

Environment is polluted in many ways. It is high time we took steps against it.

It is high time-Gi ci Subject (we) _vK‡j verb-Gi Past form (took) nq| GLbB Dchy³ mgq Gi weiæ‡× e¨e¯’v †bIqvi|

 

37. Rajshahi Board-2019 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Florence Nightingale wanted to be a nurse with a view to serving the poor.

With a view to-Gi ci memgq verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq| Mwie‡`i †mev Kivi D‡Ï‡k¨ wZwb bvm© n‡Z †P‡qwQ‡jb|  

(b)

She was thirty years old when she visited the place.

AZxZ Kv‡ji mg‡qi eY©bv w`‡Z When + Past Indefinite

(c)

If a man sows good seeds, he will reap good crops.

GwU 1st Conditional. If + Present, Future

(d)

I got up late today. Let's take a taxi so that we can reach on time.

So that gv‡b 'hv‡Z', Gici Subject + can + V1 e‡m|

(e)

A village doctor is a person who treats the villagers. He is the best friend to the villagers.

Relative Pronoun (who) Zvi Av‡Mi noun (person)-‡K wb‡`©k K‡i evK¨wU c~Y© K‡i‡Q| 

(f)

She said, "It is high time we started our journey".

It is high time + Subject + V2|

(g)

I wish I could fly in the sky. If I had the wings of a bird, I would fly like a bird.

GwU 2nd Conditional. 'If' hy³ As‡k Past Indefinite (had) _vK‡j Ab¨ As‡k would/could + V1 e‡m| 

(h)

I don't know why you go there, most probably, you want to meet him.

GLv‡b cªm‡½i Ici wfwË K‡i evK¨wU c~Y© Kiv n‡q‡Q| m¤¢eZ Zywg Zvi mv‡_ †`Lv Ki‡Z PvI e‡jB †mLv‡b hvI|

(i)

But all sorts of attempts to solve food problem will fail unless we control population.

Unless gv‡b 'hw` bv'| Avgiv hw` RbmsL¨v wbqš¿Y bv Kwi (kZ©), Z‡e Lv`¨ mgm¨v mgvav‡bi me †Póv e¨_© n‡e|

(j)

He who follows two hares catches neither.

GwU GKwU Bs‡iwR cªev` (Proverb)| hvi A_©- "GKmv‡_ `yB KvR Ki‡Z †M‡j †Kv‡bvwUB nq bv"| 

 

38. Comilla Board-2019            

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Samudra Haque is a great journalist. Do you know where he lives now?

GwU GKwU Noun Clause (Indirect Question)| cª‡kœi gvSLv‡b 'where' em‡j †mwU mvaviY ev‡K¨i g‡Zv (Subject + Verb) nq|

(b)

Unity is power. Unless you are united, you will be defeated.

Unless gv‡b 'hw` bv'| hw` †Zvgiv GKZve× bv nI (kZ©), Z‡e †Zvgiv civwRZ n‡e|

(c)

Work carefully lest you should make a mistake.

Lest (cv‡Q fq nq †h) Gi ci Subject + should/might + V1 e‡m|

(d)

Shabbir Khan is a quack. He behaves as though he were an MBBS doctor.

As though/As if-Gi Av‡Mi Ask Present Indefinite n‡j c‡ii As‡k Aev¯Íe Kíbv eySv‡Z 'be' verb wn‡m‡e memgq were e‡m|

(e)

It is very cold. I have to put on warm clothes so that I can feel warm.

So that (hv‡Z) Gi wbqg Abyhvqx-cª_g Ask Present n‡j c‡ii As‡k Subject + can/may + V1 e‡m|

(f)

Could you avoid making mistakes.

Avoid Gici Verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq|

(g)

A proverb goes that morning shows the day.

cªev`: "Morning shows the day." (DVšÍ g~‡jv cˇbB †Pbv hvq)|

(h)

Democratic Govt. will provide justice for all.

GLv‡b GKwU mvaviY fwel¨r m¤¢vebv eySv‡bv n‡q‡Q| MYZvwš¿K miKvi mevi Rb¨ b¨vqwePvi wbwðZ Ki‡e|

(i)

Let us play in the field, shall we?

Let us/Let's w`‡q cª¯Íve †evSv‡j Tag Question 'shall we' nq| 

(j)

The bee is one of the busiest insects. We should follow the bee to be industrious.

‡gŠgvwQ cwikªgx cZ½, ZvB cwikªgx nIqvi D‡Ï‡k¨ (Purpose) Avgv‡`i †gŠgvwQ‡K AbymiY Kiv DwPZ|

 

39. Jashore Board-2019             

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

We cannot buy a car if we are not rich. It costs a lot of money.

If + Present, Future| Mvwo †Kbvi mvg_¨© bv _vKv‡K wb‡`©k Ki‡Q|

(b)

You are now very helpless. Call me whenever you need my help.

Whenever (hLbB) w`‡q mgq wb‡`©k Kiv n‡q‡Q| †Zvgvi hLbB mvnv‡h¨i cª‡qvRb n‡e, Avgv‡K †dvb w`I|

(c)

The man was so weak that he could not walk. He should consult with a doctor.

'So + adjective + that'. cª_g Ask Past tense nIqvq c‡ii As‡k could not e‡m‡Q|  

(d)

Since it was raining heavily, we could not go out. We stayed at home.

Since (‡h‡nZy) w`‡q KviY eySv‡bv n‡q‡Q| †h‡nZy cªej e„wó nw”Qj, ZvB Avgiv evB‡i †h‡Z cvwiwb|

(e)

Though he is dull of hearing, he is very attentive. He can make a good result.

Though (hw`I) wecixZ A_© cªKv‡k e¨eüZ nq| hw`I †m Kv‡b Kg †kv‡b, ZeyI †m Lye g‡bv‡hvMx|

(f)

Danger comes when it is feared. So, we have to be careful in our life.

cªev`: "Danger comes when it is feared." (‡hLv‡b ev‡Ni fq †mLv‡bB ivZ nq)|

(g)

When I was a child, I used to play cricket. I was fond of playing cricket.

AZx‡Z †Kv‡bv Af¨vm wQj †evSv‡Z Used to + V1 e‡m|

(h)

Hardly had we seen the police when the robbers ran away. Thus we were saved.

Hardly had... when Gi wbqg| cª_g Ask Past Perfect Ges c‡ii Ask Past Indefinite nq|

(i)

Speak the truth or you will be punished. A truthful man is always honoured everywhere.

Or Øviv hy³ ev‡K¨ k‡Z©i dj †evSv‡Z Future Indefinite nq|

(j)

He took biology in lieu of Mathematics/Higher Math. Biology is difficult for him.

In lieu of gv‡b 'cwie‡Z©' (instead of)| †m D”PZi MwY‡Zi cwie‡Z© RxeweÁvb wb‡qwQj|

 

40. Barishal Board-2019 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

A railway station is the place where trains stop and start from.

¯’v‡bi †¶‡Î Relative Pronoun (where) e¨envi Kiv nq| †ijI‡q †÷kb n‡jv †mB RvqMv †hLv‡b †Uªb _v‡g Ges Qv‡o|

(b)

No sooner had he reached the station than the train left.

No sooner had... than Gi wbqg Abyhvqx cª_g As‡k Past Perfect Ges than Gi c‡ii As‡k Past Indefinite nq| 

(c)

He is satisfied with what he has.

Relative Pronoun (what) e¨envi K‡i e¯Íyi ev Ae¯’vi eY©bv †`Iqv n‡q‡Q| Zvi hv Av‡Q Zv wb‡qB †m mš‘ó| 

(d)

The car made in Japan runs very fast.

GLv‡b Past Participle (made) e¨envi K‡i MvwowUi we‡klZ¡ eySv‡bv n‡q‡Q| Rvcv‡b ˆZwi MvwowU Lye `ªæZ P‡j|

(e)

He behaved as if he had known everything.

As if/As though Gi cª_g Ask Past Indefinite n‡j c‡ii Ask Past Perfect nq| 

(f)

What is lotted cannot be blotted.

cªev`: "What is lotted cannot be blotted." (fv‡M¨i wjLb bv hvq LÛb)|

(g)

My purse has been lost where I kept it.

GwU GKwU Adverbial Clause of Place| Avgvi gvwbe¨vMwU †mLv‡bB nvwi‡q‡Q †hLv‡b Avwg GwU †i‡LwQjvg|

(h)

My friend, Ripon, appeared before the interview board. As he was smart, he performed well in the interview.

As/Since (‡h‡nZy) w`‡q KviY `k©v‡bv n‡q‡Q| †h‡nZy †m ¯§vU© wQj, †m B›UviwfD‡Z fv‡jv K‡iwQj|

(i)

You are a liar. You cannot eat a mango let alone ten mangoes.

Let alone (fvevB hvq bv)| GKUv AvgB †L‡Z cv‡iv bv, `kUv †Zv `~‡ii K_v|

(j)

I am very hungry today. I had better take my meal.

Had better Gici mivmwi Verb-Gi base form (V1) e‡m|

 

41. Sylhet Board-2019 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

"Do you know this man?" "Yes, I know him. I have known him since he was a boy."

Since hLb mgq wb‡`©k K‡i, ZLb Zvi Av‡Mi Ask Present Perfect Ges c‡ii Ask Past Indefinite nq|

(b)

What a lovely view that was! If I had had a camera, I would have taken a photo.

GwU 3rd Conditional. 'If + Past Perfect (had had)' _vK‡j Ab¨ As‡k would have + V3 e‡m|

(c)

I have never been suspicious of his honesty. I have always believed that he is honest.

cªm‡½i Ici wfwË K‡i evK¨wU c~Y© Kiv n‡q‡Q| Avwg KL‡bvB Zvi mZZv wb‡q m‡›`n Kwiwb; Avwg memgq wek¦vm K‡iwQ †h †m mr|

(d)

It was very hot outside. Nobody actually wanted to go out.

evB‡i Lye Mig wQj| (djvdj¯^iƒc) Avm‡j †KDB evB‡i †h‡Z Pvw”Qj bv|

(e)

The woman who was injured was taken to hospital.

Relative Pronoun (who)-Gi e¨envi| †h gwnjvwU AvnZ n‡qwQ‡jb Zv‡K nvmcvZv‡j †bIqv n‡qwQj|

(f)

When my sister was young, she hid chocolate in impossible places. Once I found a bar under the bed.

When hy³ clause w`‡q AZx‡Zi GKwU wbw`©ó mg‡qi Af¨vm ev KvR eySv‡bv n‡q‡Q| Avgvi †evb hLb †QvU wQj, †m A™¢yZ me RvqMvq PK‡jU jywK‡q ivL‡Zv|

(g)

My grandfather has no interest in TV. He often talks about the old days when there was no TV.

mg‡qi eY©bvq Relative Pronoun (when) e‡m| wZwb cªvqB †mB cyi‡bv w`b¸‡jvi K_v e‡jb hLb †Kv‡bv wUwf wQj bv|

(h)

I am not a rich man. So I never go to the shops where things are very expensive.

¯’v‡bi eY©bvq Relative Pronoun (where) e‡m| Avwg †mB †`vKvb¸‡jv‡Z hvB bv †hLv‡b wRwb‡mi `vg A‡bK †ewk|

(i)

Don't worry. We are going to be there right on time. I am driving as fast as I can.

'As + adjective/adverb + as' structure. Avwg wVK mg‡q †cŠuQv‡bvi Rb¨ hZUv m¤¢e `ªæZ Mvwo Pvjvw”Q|

(j)

She never travels alone. She is afraid / scared of travelling alone.

Preposition (of)-Gi ci verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq| †m GKv ågY Ki‡Z fq cvq|

 

42. Dinajpur Board-2019 

  

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

He is a liar. Do not rely on him.

Rely on gv‡b 'wbf©i Kiv'| †m GKRb wg_¨vev`x, ZvB Zvi Ici wbf©i K‡iv bv|

(b)

Mobile phone is a wonder of modern science. But it has some demerits.

But e¨envi K‡i wecixZ Z_¨ †`Iqv n‡q‡Q| †gvevBj †dvb weÁv‡bi we¯§q n‡jI Gi wKQy AcKvwiZv (Demerits) Av‡Q|

(c)

Time has its wings. It was five years since we had met last.

Since-Gi wbqg: cª_g Ask Past Indefinite (was) n‡j c‡ii Ask Past Perfect (had + V3) nq|

(d)

Our country is beset with many problems. We all should come forward with a view to solving these problems.

With a view to-Gi ci memgq verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq| mgm¨v¸‡jv mgvav‡bi D‡Ï‡k¨ Avgv‡`i GwM‡q Avmv DwPZ|

(e)

Whenever he speaks in English, he makes mistakes. But we learn through mistakes.

Whenever (hLbB) w`‡q GKwU wbqwgZ NUbv eySv‡bv n‡q‡Q| †m hLbB Bs‡iwR‡Z K_v e‡j, †m fyj K‡i|

(f)

Patriotism is a noble virtue. It is high time we loved our country.

It is high time-Gi ci Subject _vK‡j verb-Gi Past form nq| GUvB Dchy³ mgq Avgv‡`i †`k‡K fv‡jvevmvi|

(g)

A student has to be punctual. He has to study regularly lest he should fail.

Lest (cv‡Q fq nq †h) Gi ci Subject + should/might + V1 e‡m| wbqwgZ cov DwPZ cv‡Q †m †dj bv K‡i|

(h)

There is nobody who is completely happy. Hence happiness is a relative term.

GwU GKwU wPišÍb mZ¨ K_v| Ggb †KD †bB †h cy‡ivcywi myLx|

(i)

Trees are essential for our existence. So, we should plant more and more trees.

Avgv‡`i Aw¯Í‡Z¡i Rb¨ MvQ Acwinvh©, ZvB Avgv‡`i †ewk †ewk MvQ jvMv‡bv DwPZ|

(j)

Early rising gives a man enough free time. Since I am an early riser, I get enough time to work. 

Since (‡h‡nZy) w`‡q KviY `k©v‡bv n‡q‡Q| †h‡nZy Avwg mKv‡j DwV, Avwg Kv‡Ri Rb¨ ch©vß mgq cvB|

 

43. Dhaka , Sylhet, Dinajpur, Jessore Board-2018 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Industry is the key to success.

GwU GKwU eûj cªPwjZ cªev` evK¨| cwikªgB †mŠfv‡M¨i cªm~wZ ev PvweKvwV|

(b)

A man cannot succeed in life unless he works hard.

Unless gv‡b 'hw` bv'| hw` bv †m K‡Vvi cwikªg K‡i (kZ©), Z‡e †m mdj n‡Z cvi‡e bv|

(c)

The Japanese of the world are industrious.

Rvcvwbiv cwikªgx RvwZ wn‡m‡e cwiwPZ| GwU GKwU mvaviY mZ¨ evK¨|

(d)

The man who takes exercise can maintain a sound health.

Relative Pronoun (who)-Gi e¨envi| †h e¨w³ e¨vqvg K‡ib, wZwb my¯^v¯’¨ eRvq ivL‡Z cv‡ib|

(e)

We should not like those persons who are idle.

hviv Ajm (Relative Clause), Zv‡`i Avgv‡`i cQ›` Kiv DwPZ bq|

(f)

I always respect industrious people.

Avwg memgq cwikªgx e¨w³‡`i m¤§vb Kwi| GwU GKwU mnR I A_©en evK¨|

(g)

I know the story of an industrious person who became famous.

Relative Pronoun (who) e¨envi K‡i R‰bK cwikªgx e¨w³i mdjZvi Mí ejv n‡q‡Q|

(h)

That man always inspires me to work hard.

‡mB e¨w³wU Avgv‡K K‡Vvi cwikªg Ki‡Z memgq AbycªvwYZ K‡ib|

(i)

I have a poor uncle. He could be rich if he were industrious.

GwU 2nd Conditional. 'If + Past Indefinite' _vK‡j Ab¨ As‡k  would/could + V1 e‡m|

(j)

He has become poor because of his idleness.

Because of (Kvi‡Y) w`‡q djvdj eySv‡bv n‡q‡Q| AjmZvi Kvi‡Y †m Mwie n‡q c‡o‡Q|

 

44. Rajshahi, Comilla, Barisal, Chittagong Board-2018 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

John is fond of reading. Whenever he goes to the book fair, he buys some books. He has a good collection of books now.

Whenever (hLbB) w`‡q wbqwgZ Af¨vm †evSv‡bv n‡q‡Q| †h‡nZy c‡i eB‡qi msMª‡ni K_v Av‡Q, ZvB DËi n‡e eB †Kbv|

(b)

Smoking is detrimental to health. It is high time you gave up smoking.

It is high time Gi ci Subject _vK‡j Verb-Gi Past form (V2) e‡m|

(c)

The students saw the teacher. No sooner had the teacher entered the classroom than the students stood up.

No sooner had...than Gi c‡ii As‡k Past Indefinite (V2) e‡m| wk¶K Avmvq QvÎiv D‡V `uvovj|

(d)

Birds fly in the sky. I wish I were a bird.

I wish Gi ci Am¤¢e ev KvíwbK B”Qv cªKvk Ki‡Z were e‡m|

(e)

My mother was a philanthropist. She loved to live among the poor villagers so that she could help them.

So that gv‡b 'hv‡Z'| Av‡Mi Ask Past (loved) nIqvq c‡i Subject + could + V1 e‡m‡Q|

(f)

Samia is good at all of her subjects except English. She cannot compete with her classmates because of her weakness in English.

Because of (Kvi‡Y) Gici Noun phrase e‡m| mvwgqv Bs‡iwR‡Z `ye©j nIqvi Kvi‡Y Ab¨‡`i mv‡_ cvi‡Q bv|

(g)

We had to walk through a jungle. We saw a snake while we were walking through it.

While Gici KvR Pjgvb _vK‡j Past Continuous (was/were + ing) nq|

(h)

I don't have enough money. Had I been a rich man, I would have helped the poor.

Had + Sub + V3 (3rd Conditional) _vK‡j c‡ii As‡k would have + V3 e‡m|

(i)

Death is inevitable. There is nobody who can escape death.

g„Z¨y Awbevh©, ZvB Ggb †KD †bB †h g„Z¨y †_‡K euvP‡Z cv‡i|

(j)

Boys, I'm going to discuss an important topic today. Be attentive to my lecture, otherwise you will fail to understand.

Otherwise (bZyev) Gi c‡ii As‡k mvaviYZ fwel¨r djvdj (Future Indefinite) e‡m|

 

11.  45. Dhaka Board-2017 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Trees are essential for our existence. So, we should plant more trees.

Should Gi ci mivmwi Verb-Gi base form (V1) e‡m| MvQ Avgv‡`i Aw¯Í‡Z¡i Rb¨ Acwinvh©| ZvB Avgv‡`i AviI †ewk MvQ jvMv‡bv DwPZ|

(b)

English is an international language. Without knowing English you cannot get a good job.

Without + Gerund (V+ing) e¨envi Kiv n‡q‡Q| Bs‡iwR Rvbv Qvov fv‡jv PvKwi cvIqv m¤¢e bq|

(c)

Corruption is an obstacle to our national development. It is high time we stopped it.

It is high time-Gi ci Subject _vK‡j verb-Gi Past form (stopped) nq| GLbB `yb©xwZ _vgv‡bvi Dchy³ mgq|

(d)

My childhood was full of joys and happiness. I wish I were a child again.

I wish-Gi ci Am¤¢e B”Qv eySv‡Z 'be' verb wn‡m‡e memgq were e‡m| Avgvi B”Qv hw` Avwg Avevi wkï nZvg!

(e)

Mobile phone is a wonder of modern science. But it has some disadvantages.

But e¨envi K‡i wecixZ Z_¨ †`Iqv n‡q‡Q| †gvevBj weÁv‡bi we¯§q n‡jI Gi wKQy Amyweav (Disadvantages) Av‡Q|

(f)

He cannot fund the business. So, he should take a loan.

‡m e¨emvq cyuwR w`‡Z cvi‡Q bv, ZvB Zvi FY †bIqv DwPZ|  

(g)

He confessed that he had made a mistake. So, I forgave him.

Noun Clause-Gi e¨envi| Confessed (Past) nIqvq c‡ii Ask Past Perfect n‡q‡Q|  

(h)

The students could not memories the poem. It wastoo difficult for them to memorize.

Too + adjective + for (someone) + to + V1 structure. GwU GZB KwVb wQj †h Zviv gyL¯’ Ki‡Z cviwQj bv|

(i)

Since there was no more question to discuss, the meeting was over.

Since (‡h‡nZy) w`‡q KviY `k©v‡bv n‡q‡Q| †h‡nZy Avi †Kv‡bv Av‡jvPbvi welq wQj bv, mfvwU †kl n‡q †Mj|

(j)

Female education is a crying need for our country. It is a good sign that nowadays girls are getting educated.

bvix wk¶v GKwU Acwinvh© cª‡qvRb| GwU fv‡jv j¶Y †h eZ©gvb mg‡q †g‡qiv wkw¶Z n‡”Q| 

 

46. Rajshahi Board-2017 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

21stFebruary is a red-letter day in our life because our martyrs died for Bangla. It is our MotherLanguage Day. 

Red-letter day gv‡b ¯§iYxq w`b| KviY Avgv‡`i knx`iv evsjvi Rb¨ cªvY w`‡qwQ‡jb|

(b)

Once there was a farmer who had three sons. They were so lazy that they would not work at all.

'So + adjective + that' structure. Zviv GZUvB Ajm wQj †h Zviv †gv‡UI KvR KiZ bv|

(c)

I have to meet Rayhan. Do you know where he lives?

GwU GKwU Noun Clause (Indirect Question)| cª‡kœi gvSLv‡b 'where' em‡j †mwU mvaviY ev‡K¨i g‡Zv (Subject + Verb) nq|

(d)

It is high time you stopped smoking. It is detrimental to health.

It is high time-Gi ci Subject _vK‡j verb-Gi Past form (stopped) nq| a~gcvb Z¨vM Kivi GLbB Dchy³ mgq|

(e)

English is an international language. If you want to go abroad for higher studies you should learn English.

GwU 1st Conditional. we‡`‡k D”Pwk¶vi Rb¨ †h‡Z PvB‡j (kZ©), †Zvgv‡K Bs‡iwR wkL‡Z n‡e|

(f)

The bee is one of the busiest insects. It flies from flower to flower to collect honey.

‡gŠgvwQ gay msMª‡ni D‡Ï‡k¨ (Purpose) GK dyj †_‡K Ab¨ dy‡j D‡o †eovq|

(g)

My friend lived in New Zealand. It is many years since since we met last.

Since-Gi cª_g Ask Present Indefinite (is) n‡j c‡ii Ask Past Indefinite (met) nq| Avgv‡`i †kl †`Lvi ci A‡bK eQi †K‡U †M‡Q|

(h)

We must grow the habit of getting up early in the morning. The sooner we getup the more we get time.

'The + comparative... the + comparative' structure. Avgiv hZ ZvovZvwo Nyg †_‡K DV‡ev, ZZ †ewk mgq cv‡ev|

(i)

There goes the proverb, “United we stand, divided we fall’. Unless we are united we will fall.

Unless gv‡b 'hw` bv'| hw` Avgiv GKZve× bv nB (kZ©), Z‡e Avgv‡`i cZb NU‡e|

(j)

Our country is beset with many problems. We all should come forward with a view to solving the problems.

With a view to-Gi ci memgq verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq| mgm¨v mgvav‡bi D‡Ï‡k¨ Avgv‡`i GwM‡q Avmv DwPZ|

 

.   47. Jashore Board-2017 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Last night I did not have a sound sleep. I feel sleepy while watching TV.

While-Gi ci mivmwi verb Avm‡j Zvi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq| wUwf †`Lvi mgq Avwg Nyg Abyfe Kwi|

(b)

You cannot handle such a significant responsibility if you don’t have prior experience in teaching.

GwU 1st Conditional. hw` †Zvgvi Av‡Mi AwfÁZv bv _v‡K (kZ©), Z‡e Zywg GB eo `vwqZ¡ cvjb Ki‡Z cvi‡e bv| 

(c)

If the driver had been more careful, he could have avoided the fatal accident.

GwU 3rd Conditional. 'If + Past Perfect' (had been) _vK‡j Ab¨ As‡k could have + V3 e‡m| PvjK mZK© n‡j `yN©Ubv Gov‡bv †hZ|

(d)

We were supposed to start our journey the next day. But, it was so hot that we had to cancel the journey.

'So + adjective + that' structure. AvenvIqv GZB Mig wQj †h Avgv‡`i hvÎv evwZj Ki‡Z n‡qwQj|

(e)

A village market is one of the many attractions of country life. It is a public place where villagers buy and sell things.

¯’v‡bi eY©bvq Relative Pronoun (where) e‡m| GwU Ggb RvqMv †hLv‡b Mªvgevmxiv †Kbv‡ePv K‡i|

(f)

The box is very heavy. Are you strong enough to carry it?

'Adjective + enough + to + V1' structure. Zywg wK GwU enb Kivi g‡Zv h‡_ó kw³kvjx?

(g)

Begging is not a profession. It is most disreputable. We must not encourage begging.

cªm½ Abyhvqx evK¨wU c~Y© Kiv n‡q‡Q| wf¶ve„wË †Kv‡bv †ckv bq, ZvB Avgv‡`i GwU‡K DrmvwnZ Kiv DwPZ bq|

(h)

Whenever he speaks in English he makes many mistakes. But it is natural that we learn through mistakes.

It is natural that (GwU ¯^vfvweK †h) e¨envi K‡i GKwU ev¯Íe mZ¨ cªKvk Kiv n‡q‡Q| fy‡ji gva¨‡gB Avgiv wkwL|

(i)

The station is not far away from here. It will take you five minutes to reach there.

'It + take + (person) + time' structure. †mLv‡b †cŠuQv‡Z Avcbvi cuvP wgwbU mgq jvM‡e|

(j)

One should bear in mind that forming bad habit is easy to do but difficult to give up.

GwU GKwU PgrKvi Dc‡`kg~jK evK¨| Lvivc Af¨vm Kiv mnR wKš‘ Z¨vM Kiv KwVb| 

 

 

 

 

.   48. Cumilla Board-2017 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

He studies medicine so that he can serve the people.

So that gv‡b 'hv‡Z', Gici Subject + can/could + V1 e‡m|

(b)

Time has its wings. It was five years since we had seen each other.

Since Gi Av‡M Past Indefinite _vK‡j c‡i Past Perfect (had+V3) nq|

(c)

The poor man knocked at my door. He came to me with a view to getting some financial help.

With a view to Gici Verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq|

(d)

I found a box in the room. The box was too heavy for me to carry alone.

Too + adjective + for (obj) + to + V1 Gi MVb|

(e)

I went to market yesterday. Had you requested me, I could have bought the book.        

Had + Subject + V3 (3rd Conditional) _vK‡j c‡i could have + V3 nq| 

(f)

Do not worry about me. I will go to sleep after I have finished my study.          

After hy³ As‡k Present Perfect _vK‡j Av‡Mi As‡k Future Indefinite nq| 

(g)

They are very hard working. If the bank gives them loan on easy terms, they will change their lot.

If + Present + Future Indefinite (1st Conditional)|

(h)

Unity is strength. United we stand, divided we fall.

cªev`: "United we stand, divided we fall." (GKZvB ej, we‡f‡`B cZb)|

(i)

We had to walk through a jungle. We saw a snake while we were walking through it.

While Gi ci KvR Pjgvb _vK‡j Past Continuous (was/were+ing) nq|

(j)

Everybody will go to the graveyard after death. A graveyard is a place where the dead are buried.

Kei¯’v‡bi msÁv (Relative Clause using 'where')|

hattogram Board-2017 

.  49.  Chattogram Board-2017 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

We are closely related to our environment. We should keep the environment free from pollution so that we can live healthily.

So that (hv‡Z) hy³ ev‡K¨ subject-Gi ci mvg_¨© eySv‡Z Subject + can + V1 e‡m| 

(b)

We must follow the rules of hygiene. Without following the rules of hygiene, we cannot remain healthy.

Without + Gerund (V+ing) e¨envi Kiv n‡q‡Q| ¯^v¯’¨wewa †g‡b Pjv Qvov Avgiv my¯’ _vK‡Z cvwi bv|

(c)

He was very hopeful about winning the game. He had practiced a lot before he took part in the competition.

Before-Gi wbqg: Gi Av‡Mi Ask Past Perfect n‡j c‡ii Ask Past Indefinite nq|

(d)

He had a street accident and his mother injured herself falling on the stairs. To tell the truth, misfortune never comes alone.

cªev`: "Misfortune never comes alone." (wec` KL‡bv GKv Av‡m bv)|

(e)

She has got GPA 4.50. If she had studied more seriously, she would have got GPA 5 in the exam.

GwU 3rd Conditional. 'If + Past Perfect' _vK‡j Ab¨ As‡k would have + V3 e‡m|

(f)

The boy was playing when his mother called him. He stopped his playing at once.

KvR PjvKvjxb Ab¨ NUbvi eY©bv (When + Past Indefinite)| gv WvKvi mv‡_ mv‡_B †m †Ljv eÜ K‡i w`‡qwQj|

(g)

I feel a very bad headache. If I felt well, I would continue my classes.

GwU 2nd Conditional. 'If' hy³ As‡k Past Indefinite (felt) _vK‡j Ab¨ As‡k would + V1 e‡m| eZ©gv‡b Amy¯’ _vKvq K¬vm Ki‡Z cviwQ bv|

(h)

Time plays a very crucial role in human life. We cannot prosper in life unless we use time properly.

Unless (hw` bv) w`‡q kZ© eySv‡bv n‡q‡Q| mg‡qi mwVK e¨envi bv Ki‡j Avgiv Rxe‡b DbœwZ Ki‡Z cvi‡ev bv|

(i)

He runs very fast. Last year he ran so fast that other competitors were left behind.

So + adjective + that structure. †m GZB `ªæZ †`ЇowQj †h Ab¨ cªwZ‡hvMxiv †cQ‡b c‡o wM‡qwQj|

(j)

Human body needs a balanced diet. If we take a balanced diet, it keeps us fit.

GwU 1st Conditional. mylg Lvevi †L‡j (kZ©) kixi my¯’ _v‡K|

 

50.  Sylhet Board-2017 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Honesty is the best policy. If you maintain honesty, you can lead a happy life.

If + Present,  Future/Modal (1st Conditional)|

(b)

Patriotism is a noble virtue. It is high time we tried to be patriots.

It is high time Gi ci Subject _vK‡j Verb-Gi Past form (V2) e‡m|

(c)

English is an international language. I wish I could speak English fluently.

I wish Gi ci m¶gZv †evSv‡Z Subject + could + V1 e‡m|

(d)

If I had much money, I would help the poor.

If + Past Indefinite + would + V1 (2nd Conditional)|

(e)

There goes a proverb that a man is known by the company he keeps. So, you have to make friendship with a gentlemen.

GwU GKwU weL¨vZ cªev` evK¨| hvi A_©- "m½ †`‡L †jvK †Pbv hvq|" ZvB fv‡jv gvby‡li mv‡_ eÜyZ¡ Kiv DwPZ|

(f)

Hardly had he seen his friend when he saw me.

Hardly had... when Gici Past Indefinite (V2) e‡m|

(g)

It is a long time since we met each other last.

Since-Gi cª_g Ask Present Indefinite n‡j c‡ii Ask Past Indefinite nq|

(h)

All of us have to work hard with a view to developing our country.

With a view to Gici Verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq|

(i)

I was too young to say no to her.

Too + adjective + to + V1 structure. Avwg GZUvB †QvU wQjvg †h Zv‡K 'bv' ej‡Z cvwiwb| (GwU †bwZevPK A_© †`q)|

(j)

A student has to be punctual. He has to study regularly lest he should fail in the exam.

Lest (cv‡Q fq nq †h) Gi ci Subject + should + V1 e‡m| wbqwgZ cov DwPZ cv‡Q †m cix¶vq †dj bv K‡i|

 

.   51. Barishal Board-2017 

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

The job market is getting bad to worse day by day. If you don’t work hard in your student life, you won't get a good job.

GwU 1st Conditional. QvÎRxe‡b K‡Vvi cwikªg bv Ki‡j (kZ©), fwel¨‡Z fv‡jv PvKwi cvIqv hv‡e bv|

(b)

Trees are most important for our survival. They supply oxygen without which we cannot survive.

MvQ Avgv‡`i Aw·‡Rb mieivn K‡i, hv Qvov Avgv‡`i †eu‡P _vKv m¤¢e bq| GLv‡b GKwU †hŠw³K Z_¨ †`Iqv n‡q‡Q| 

(c)

My HSC exam is knocking at the door. I have to study attentively so that I can make a good result.

So that gv‡b 'hv‡Z', Gici Subject + can + V1 e‡m|

(d)

I have lost my cell phone. Would you mind lending me your phone so that I can talk to my mother?

Would you mind-Gi ci memgq verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq| GwU webgªfv‡e †Kv‡bv Aby‡iva Ki‡Z e¨eüZ nq|

(e)

Last week my friend Hasan met with an accident. No sooner had I heard the news than I went to see him.

No sooner had... than Gici Past Indefinite (V2) e‡m|

(f)

Flower is a symbol of beauty, love and purity. There is hardly any one who does not love flowers.

'Ggb †KD †bB †h dyj fv‡jvev‡m bv' (Double Negative)|

(g)

Walk fast lest you should miss the train.

Lest (cv‡Q fq nq †h) Gi ci Subject + should + V1 e‡m| `ªæZ nuv‡Uv cv‡Q †UªbwU wgm bv K‡iv|

(h)

Jui is studying medicine. She wants to be a doctor.

D‡Ïk¨ †evSv‡Z to + V1 e‡m|

(i)

During the recent years, most teenagers have become facebook freak. They waste time for noting. They should know that lost time can never be regained.

GwU GKwU cªev`Zyj¨ evK¨| nviv‡bv mgq KL‡bv wd‡i cvIqv hvq bv|

(j)

He came to my room while I was sleeping. He did not wake me up.

While-Gi ci Subject _vK‡j †mwU Past Continuous (was/were + V+ing) nq| 

 

  52.  Dhaka Board-2016 

016   

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Physical exercise keeps us healthy and strong. If you take regular physical exercise you will remain healthy.

1st Conditional: If + Present Indefinite n‡j c‡ii Ask Future Indefinite nq|

(b)

They come to you with a view to getting some help from you. but you scolded them without any reason.

'With a view to' Gi ci Verb-Gi mv‡_ ing hy³ nq|

(c)

Please wait here until I come back. I have a serious matter to discuss with you.

'Until' mgq wb‡`©k K‡i, Gi c‡ii AskwU mvaviYZ Affirmative nq|

(d)

I was not hungry at all. If I had been hungry I would have eaten food.

3rd Conditional: If + Past Perfect _vK‡j c‡ii As‡k would have + V3 e‡m|

(e)

Trees are essential for our existence. So, we should plant more and more trees.

A_©c~Y© evK¨ ˆZwii Rb¨ Dchy³ Object|

(f)

There goes a proverb that time and tide wait for none. So, we must make proper use of time.

Proverb: 'mgq I †mªvZ Kv‡iv Rb¨ A‡c¶v K‡i bv' GwU GKwU cªev` evK¨|

(g)

We should drink pure water. Since the water of this bottle is not pure, we should avoid it.

'Since' (‡h‡nZy) KviY wb‡`©k K‡i| Awbivc` cvwb cvb eR©b Kiv DwPZ|

(h)

The two brothers are not on good terms. Yesterday when we went to their house, they were found quarrelling.

AZx‡Z †Kv‡bv KvR Pjgvb _vKv Ae¯’vq †`Lv †M‡j Past Continuous fve cªKvk cvq|

(i)

Air is polluted in many ways. It is high time we took steps to stop it.

'It is high time' Gi ci Subject _vK‡j Verb-Gi Past form (V2) nq|

(j)

The martyrs laid down their lives in 1971. They did it so that our country might get freedom.

'So that' Gi ci Subject + can/could/may/might + V1 e‡m|

Rajshahi Boa

.   53. Rajshahi Board-2016

 

Gap

Questions with Answer

Answer Explanation

(a)

Industry is the key to success. If you work hard, you will succeed in life.

1st Conditional: K‡Vvi cwikªg Ki‡j fwel¨‡Z mdj n‡e|

(b)

Corruption is the main hindrance to development. It is high time we curbed corruption.

'It is high time' Gici Subject _vK‡j fv‡e©i V2 nq|

(c)

Abdul is an HSC candidate. He is studying hard lest he should fail in the exam.

'Lest' Gici Subject + should/might + V1 e‡m|

(d)

There are a good number of reasons why students fail in English. That English is a foreign language is the main reason.

Bs‡iwR we‡`wk fvlv nIqvi Kvi‡Y wk¶v_x©iv †dj Kivi KviY e¨vL¨v Kiv n‡q‡Q|

(e)

Birds fly in the sky. I wish I could fly like a bird.

'I wish' Gi ci Aev¯Íe B”Qv †evSv‡Z Subject + could/were e‡m|

(f)

No sooner had we reached there than the programme started. Unless we went there earlier, we would miss the beginning of the progamme.

'No sooner had... than' Gi ci Past Indefinite (V2) nq|

(g)

It is not good to mix with bad companies. A man is known by the company he keeps.

'It is not good' Gi ci A_©c~Y© Infinitive (to+V1) e‡m|

(h)

Dulal Sheikh is a quack. He behaves as if he knew everything.

'As if' Gi Av‡M Present _vK‡j c‡i Aev¯Íe †evSv‡Z V2/were nq|

(i)

It is very cold outside. You had better stay at home.

'Had better' Gi ci mivmwi Verb-Gi Base form (V1) e‡m|

(j)

My childhood was full of joys and happiness. Would that I were a child again.

'Would that' Gici Am¤¢e B”Qv cªKv‡k Subject + were e‡m|

No comments:

Post a Comment